Mahmud in 2007
|Born||Mir Abdus Shukur Al Mahmud|
11 July 1936
Brahmanbaria District, Bengal Presidency, British India
|Died||15 February 2019 (aged 82)|
|Genre||Poet, novelist, short-story writer|
|Notable works||Lok Lokantor |
Mayabi Porda Dule Otho
|Notable awards||Full list|
|Spouse||Sayeda Nadira Begum|
|Children||Mir Muhammad Monir|
Mir Abdus Shukur Al Mahmud (known as Al Mahmud; 11 July 1936 – 15 February 2019) was a Bangladeshi poet, novelist, and short-story writer. He was thought of as one of the greatest Bengali poets of the 20th century.
His work in Bengali poetry was known for his regional dialects.
In the 1950s he was among those Bengali poets who were outspoken in their writing on such subjects as the events of the Bengali Language Movement, nationalism, political and economical repression, and the struggle against the West Pakistani government.
References[change | change source]
- "কবি আল মাহমুদ আইসিইউতে". The Daily Star Bangla (in Bengali). 2019-02-10. Retrieved 2019-02-11.
- "Al Mahmud turns 75". The Daily Star. 2011-07-13. Retrieved 2019-02-15.
- "Al Mahmud". Truly Bangladesh.Retrieved: 22 January 2014
- Arif, Hakim (2012). "Poetry". In Islam, Sirajul; Jamal, Ahmed A. (eds.). Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- "Poet Al Mahmud passes away". Prothom Alo. 2019-02-16. Retrieved 2019-02-15.