|28th Governor of Victoria|
8 April 2011 – 1 July 2015
|Lieutenant||Marilyn Warren AC|
|Preceded by||David de Kretser AC|
|Succeeded by||Linda Dessau|
|Born||12 May 1938|
|Residence||Government House, Melbourne|
|Alma mater||University of Melbourne|
Early life[change | change source]
Chernov was born in Lithuania to Russian parents, and moved with his family to Salzburg, Austria where he started school. In 1949 his family moved to Australia and he completed his schooling at Melbourne High School. He studied commerce (business) and law at the University of Melbourne during the 1960s.
Career[change | change source]
Chernov became a barrister in 1968, practising mostly in commercial law and equity. He was made a Queen's Counsel in 1980. He was Chairman of the Victorian Bar 1985–86, Vice-President of the Australian Bar Association 1986–87 and President of the Law Council of Australia 1990–91. He was Vice President of LawAsia 1995–1997.
He wrote a book with Robert Brooking AO, Tenancy Law and Practice: Victoria (1972) and edited the second edition (1980).
In May 1997 he was appointed to the Trial Division of the Supreme Court of Victoria, and in October 1998 to the Court of Appeal. He retired in February 2008.
Vice-regal office[change | change source]
On 21 February 2011, it was announced that he would become the 28th Governor of Victoria. He took officee on 8 April 2011.
Personal life[change | change source]
Chernov is married with three children.
Honours[change | change source]
Chernov was appointed Queen's Counsel in and for the State of Victoria in 1980.
References[change | change source]
- Justice Alex Chernov JA, Victorian Bar News, Autumn 2008.
- Chernov sworn in as Victoria's new Governor, ABC News, 8 April 2011.
- Sushi Das: The Melbourne man, The Age, 7 February 2009.
- Rout, Milanda: Former judge Alex Chernov is Victoria's next governor, The Australian, 21 February 2011.
- It's an Honour
- Hare, Julie (26 January 2011). "Australia Day honours list goes Melbourne's way". The Australian. News Limited. Retrieved 26 January 2011.