Alexandria Governorate (Arabic: محافظة الإسكندرية Muḥāfẓet El Eskenderiya) is one of the governorates of Egypt. The city of Alexandria was historically the capital of Egypt. Later Fustat was built, and this became Cairo. Today the governorate is considered second in importance to the Cairo Governorate. It is on the northern coast of Egypt, on the Mediterranean Sea. It is one of the most important harbours in Egypt.
Tourism[change | change source]
Alexandria has a diverse history. It was occupied by several cultures through the years. Alexandria has many historic sites and several monuments .
Monuments[change | change source]
- Bibliotheca Alexandrina
- Citadel of Qaitbay
- Graeco-Roman Museum
- Alexandria National Museum
- Royal Jewelry Museum
- Serapeum Temple
- Pompey's Pillar
- Roman Amphitheatre
- Lighthouse of Alexandria
Gardens[change | change source]
- Al Montaza Gardens
- Al Shallalat Gardens
- Antoniadis Garden
- El-Nozha Garden
- International Park of Alexandria
Education[change | change source]
Alexandria Governorate follows the Egyptian Educational System in its public schools and universities.
Most important educational institutes[change | change source]
- Bibliotheca Alexandrina ( Alexandria Library)
- Alexandria University
- Arab Academy for Science, Technology, and Maritime Transport
- Egypt-Japan University of Science and Technology in New Borg El Arab city.
- The city of scientific research and Technological Applications
- Pharos University
Sports[change | change source]
Alexandria governorate most common sport is football and has three main stadiums which are:
- Borg El Arab Stadium
- Alexandria Stadium
- Haras El-Hedoud Stadium
Transportation[change | change source]
Ports[change | change source]
- Alexandria Port
- Al Dekheila Port. ( The second largest port in Alexandria Governorate after Alexandria Port).
- Abu Qir Port
- Eastern Port. (One of the oldest ports as it was built in 2000 B.C in Racoda village).
Railroads[change | change source]
- Alexandria Tram
- Alexandria Railways
Airports[change | change source]
Alexandria Governorate has two international airports:
- Borg El Arab Airport
Telephone services[change | change source]
Governorate telephone code[change | change source]
- National: 03
- International: +203
References[change | change source]
- Abu-Zeid, Khaled, Alaa Yasseen, Peter Van Der Steen, Phillip Sharp, and Mohamed ElRawady. "Integrated Urban Water Management." Alexandria 2030 (2011): 59. Managing Water for the City of the Future. Switch. Web. 4 Dec. 2015.
- "About AU: History." Alexandria University. Alexandria University, 2015. Web. 3 Dec. 2015. <https://web.archive.org/web/20160110094656/http://www.alexu.edu.eg/index.php/en/about-au/auhistory%3E.
- "About the BA: Overview." Bibliotheca Alexandrina. Bibliotheca Alexandrina. Web. 7 Dec. 2015. <http://www.bibalex.org/en/Page/overview>.
- "Alexandria." Alexandria Portal. Ministry of State For Administrative Development. Web. 3 Dec. 2015. <http://www.alexandria.gov.eg/alex/english/index.aspx>.
- "Egypt Embassies & Consulates." Egypt. Embassy Pages, 28 Nov. 2015. Web. 3 Dec. 2015. <http://www.embassypages.com/egypt>.
- Khalifa, Alaa. "The City of Alexandria in Egypt - Information & Location of Alexandria." The City of Alexandria in Egypt - Information & Location of Alexandria
- Official portal for Alexandria governorate <http://www.alexandria.gov.eg/MainHome.aspx Archived 2017-07-01 at the Wayback Machine>
Other websites[change | change source]
- Alexandria Governorate (Arabic)
- Alexandria websites Alex4All website
- Discover Alexandria
- List of Governors of Alexandria with photos (1798-2000) Archived 2007-11-29 at the Wayback Machine (Arabic)
- St. Takla Haymnaot the Ethiopian Coptic Orthodox Church - One of the famous Coptic Orthodox Churches of Alexandria