Amazon.com, also called Amazon, is an American electronic commerce and cloud computing company that was founded on July 5, 1994, by Jeff Bezos and is based in Seattle, Washington. It is the largest Internet-based retailer in the world by total sales and market capitalization. Amazon.com started as an online bookstore, later diversifying to sell DVDs, Blu-rays, CDs, video downloads/streaming, MP3 downloads/streaming, audiobook downloads/streaming, software, video games, electronics, apparel, furniture, food, toys, and jewelry. The company also produces consumer electronics—notably, Kindle e-readers, Fire tablets, Fire TV, and Echo—and is the world's largest provider of cloud infrastructure services (IaaS and PaaS). Amazon also sells certain low-end products like USB cables under its in-house brand AmazonBasics.
Amazon has separate retail websites for the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, France, Canada, Germany, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Australia, Brazil, Japan, China, India, and Mexico. Amazon also offers international shipping to certain other countries for some of its products. In 2016, Dutch, Polish, and Turkish language versions of the German Amazon website were launched.
References[change | change source]
- Maps. Google. http://goo.gl/maps/6Brkd.
- "Arch daily". Amazon’s Seattle headquarters.
- "Amazon pays top dollar to buy Seattle HQ". Reuters. October 5, 2012.
- "My habit".
- "Shopbop gets a makeover". New York Times.
- Askville. Amazon. Archived from the original on July 24, 2008. https://web.archive.org/web/20080724192202/http://askville.amazon.com/.
- "AMAZON.COM ANNOUNCES FOURTH QUARTER SALES UP 22% TO $35.7 BILLION" (XBRL). United States Securities and Exchange Commission. January 28, 2016.
- Soper, Spencer. "Jeff Bezos Sells More Than $500 Million in Amazon Shares".
- Saintvilus, Richard (August 5, 2016). "Jeff Bezos Sells 1 Million Amazon Shares (AMZN) - Investopedia".
- "Amazon soars to more than 341K employees — adding more than 110K people in a single year". February 2, 2017.
- "AMZN Profile - Amazon.com, Inc. Stock - Yahoo Finance".
- Lextrait, Vincent (January 2010). "The Programming Languages Beacon, v10.0". Retrieved March 14, 2010.
- "Amazon.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved April 2, 2017.
- "AMAZON COM INC (Form: S-1, Received: 03/24/1997 00:00:00)". nasdaq.com. March 24, 1997. Retrieved July 15, 2014.
- Jopson, Barney (July 12, 2011). "Amazon urges California referendum on online tax". Financial Times. Archived from the original on July 14, 2011. Retrieved August 4, 2011.
- Synergy Research Group, Reno, NV. "Microsoft Cloud Revenues Leap; Amazon is Still Way Out in Front - Synergy Research Group". srgresearch.com.
- "Amazon.com, Form 10-K, Annual Report, Filing Date Jan 30, 2013" (PDF). SEC database. Retrieved February 26, 2013.
- "Now you can visit Amazon.de in Dutch". Amazon news. 2016-10-04. Retrieved 2016-10-19.
- "Amazon jedną nogą w Polsce". Retrieved 2016-10-19.
- "Amazon Germany now available in Turkish". November 10, 2016. Retrieved February 20, 2017.
- "Inside Amazon: Wrestling Big Ideas in a Bruising Workplace". The New York Times. August 16, 2015.
- Cheng, Evelyn (September 23, 2016). "Amazon climbs into top 5 biggest US companies by market cap".