American Health Care Act of 2017
The American Health Care Act of 2017 (H.R. 1628), referred to by the acronym AHCA and nicknamed variously as Trumpcare, Ryancare, Republicare, and pejoratively Obamacare-Lite, is a United States Congress bill to repeal and replace the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act "Obamacare" (ACA). It is based on a plan first publicly released by House Republicans on March 6, 2017, and the first part of what is a 3-phase plan to repeal the act.
Consideration of the bill was postponed on March 24, 2017, after it failed to gain enough House Republican support to pass it. Towards the end of April 2017, Republicans began trying to revive the bill with the MacArthur Amendment, named after Representative Tom MacArthur of New Jersey.
On May 4, 2017, the United States House of Representatives voted in favor of repealing the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and passing the American Health Care Act with a narrow vote of 217 to 213, sending the bill to the Senate for a full majority vote.
References[change | change source]
- Zillman, Claire (March 14, 2017). "Trumpcare Could Signal the Beginning of the End for Guaranteed Maternity Coverage". Fortune.
- Bolling, Eric (March 14, 2017). "RyanCare is still ObamaCare. Here are five ways to start over". Fox News.
- Olmstead, Molly (2017-03-07). "Republicare Edition". Slate. ISSN 1091-2339. Retrieved 2017-03-23.
- Newkirk, Vann R. II. "Is the GOP's Plan 'Obamacare Lite'? Not Quite". The Atlantic. Retrieved 2017-04-01.
- Kaplan, Thomas; Pear, Robert (May 4, 2017). "House Passes Measure to Repeal and Replace the Affordable Care Act". New York Times. Retrieved May 4, 2017.
- Sanger-Katz, Margot (May 4, 2017). "Who Wins and Who Loses in the Latest G.O.P. Health Care Bill". New York Times. Retrieved May 4, 2017.
- The Editorial Board (May 4, 2017). "The Trumpcare Disaster". New York Times. Retrieved May 4, 2017.
- Fram, Alan; Alonso-Zaldivar, Ricardo. "House Republicans, Short of Votes, Withdraw Health Care Bill". NBC Chicago.
- Jacobs, Ben; Smith, David (2017-03-24). "Republican repeal of Obamacare fails as healthcare bill pulled from House vote". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2017-03-24.
- Fox, Lauren; Mattingly, Phil; Luhby, Tami. "Republicans aim to revive health care with new amendment". CNN. Retrieved 2017-04-26.
- "FINAL VOTE RESULTS FOR ROLL CALL 256". house.gov. May 4, 2017.
- "House Republicans pass bill to repeal and replace Obamacare". CNN. May 4, 2017. Retrieved May 4, 2017.
- "Republican health care bill: What's in it?". Fox News. May 4, 2017. Retrieved May 4, 2017.