|Genre(s)||Party, social deduction|
Among Us is an American-made science-fiction social deduction video game made by Innersloth. Inc. It was released for IOS and Android on June 15, 2018, for PC on Steam on November 16, 2018. It was also released on itch.io on August 17, 2018. Among Us follows a crew being killed one at a time by an Impostor. As of 2020, the game has got very popular because many Twitch streamers and YouTubers have played it.
Gameplay[change | change source]
In Among Us, players play as one of four to ten players, and can either be a "Crewmate" or an "Impostor". Each game has one to three Impostors in it. The number of Impostors can be changed at the start of the game.
Crewmates are given a list of tasks to complete at the start of the game. They can win if everyone does their tasks, or if they vote out all the Impostors.
Impostors can win by killing all the Crewmates, or killing enough Crewmates so that there are more Impostors than Crewmates. They do not have tasks, but instead have a list of "fake tasks". Impostors can pretend to complete these tasks to make it seem like they are not Impostors. Impostors can travel around the map using vents, and "sabotage" parts of the map (such as causing a reactor meltdown on The Skeld) to distract or kill other Crewmates.
Every player has a chance to call an emergency meeting or, when they see a dead body, to report it to everyone else. During a meeting, players can talk about who they think is the Impostor. This is the only time when players can talk to each other and vote. If a player gets the most votes, they are voted out, meaning they are removed from the game. Among Us does not let players use voice chat. Players can only talk by typing messages. Because of this, many players use services like Discord for voice chat.
When a player is killed by the Impostor, or if they are voted out, they become a ghost. Ghosts can not do things with other players, and they can not talk or vote during meetings. However, they can still do tasks, and see the rest of the game. Ghost Impostors can also sabotage to help their teammates. If both the Crewmates and the ghosts complete their tasks, the Crewmates will win.
Maps[change | change source]
The Skeld[change | change source]
The Skeld is the very first map in Among Us. It was released with the game, and is the most popular map. It used to be the only free map in the game, and is set in a simple spaceship.
Mira HQ[change | change source]
Mira HQ is the second map in the game. Unlike The Skeld, the map was released as paid content, and is set in a floor in a floating building that is the headquarters of the company MIRA. It was announced on August 3, 2019, and it was released on August 8, 2019. As of June 11, 2020, this map became free for all players to play. This map contains new features such as new tasks, a decontamination system and a door log.
Polus[change | change source]
Polus is set in a base in a purple planet named Polus. This map, like Mira HQ, was also released as paid content. This map does not have vents for the Impostor, but holes that connect the different buildings. This map is quite big and open compared to the other maps. It also has a new camera system. As of June 11, 2020, this map also became free for all players to play. Most tasks/features in this map are only in this map.
The Airship[change | change source]
The Airship is the fourth map in the game. It was announced at The Game Awards on December 10, 2020. It is based off of the Airship from "Infiltrating the Airship" in The Henry Stickmin Collection, another game InnerSloth worked on. It has been released on the 31st of March 2021 for all to play.
Response[change | change source]
The game received mainly positive reviews but some criticized the game because 'after a while, you just see the same old maps', while on Steam the game received 'very positive' reviews.
Among Us got a lot more popular in the summer of 2020, because a lot of Twitch streamers started streaming themselves playing it, at some point making it the most viewed category on Twitch. There were so many new players causing servers to go down, even though they were designed for scalability. Developers decided to redesign servers to account for the influx of new players.
It is maintaining its popularity due to large YouTube creators making videos on it like MrBeast. Some of the larger YouTube creators were introduced to it by The Henry Stickmin Collection.
Mods[change | change source]
Notes[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- Lugris, Mark (2020-09-09). "InnerSloth's Party Game Among Us Reaches 1.5 Million Simultaneous Players". TheGamer. Archived from the original on September 21, 2020. Retrieved 2020-09-09.
- "About". InnerSloth. Archived from the original on September 21, 2020. Retrieved 2020-09-09.
- Grayson, Nathan (2020-09-08). "Among Us' Improbable Rise To The Top Of Twitch". Kotaku Australia. Archived from the original on September 9, 2020. Retrieved 2020-09-08.
- Carless, Simon (2020-09-10). "Behind the dizzying ride to the top for Among Us". Gamasutra. Archived from the original on September 21, 2020. Retrieved 2020-09-16.
- "#27 - Innersloth". Retrieved 2020-10-20.
- "Among Us by Innersloth". itch.io. Archived from the original on September 9, 2020. Retrieved 15 October 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Among Us is coming to Xbox next year, EuroGamer.net
- InnerSloth (2018-08-17). "PC and Online Released! - Among Us by InnerSloth". Itch.io. Archived from the original on September 21, 2020. Retrieved 11 September 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- InnerSloth (2018-11-08). "Among Us Out of Beta and Pricing - Among Us by InnerSloth". Itch.io. Archived from the original on September 6, 2020. Retrieved 27 September 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Airship map will take Among Us where it has never gone before". Inverse.
- "Save 75% on Among Us on Steam". store.steampowered.com. Retrieved 2020-06-29.
- "Among Us Custom Game Modes: Have you tried these different game modes with your friends?". www.sportco.io. Retrieved 2021-02-25.