|City of Andalusia|
Location of Andalusia in Alabama
|• Total||18.97 sq mi (49.1 km2)|
|• Land||18.87 sq mi (48.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.09 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||348 ft (106 m)|
|• Density||465.9/sq mi (179.9/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0133361|
Andalusia is a city in Covington County, Alabama, United States. At the 2000 census the population was 8,794. The 2007 U.S. Census estimated the city had a population of 8,705. It is the home of the World Championship Domino Tournament.
Media[change | change source]
- Andalusia Star-News (daily)
Education[change | change source]
Public education is provided by Andalusia City School System. which consists of Andalusia Elementary School, Andalusia Middle School, and Andalusia High School.
Notable natives[change | change source]
- Charles Brooks, editorial cartoonist
- Robert Horry, NBA player
- Nico Johnson, NFL player for Kansas City Chiefs, won 3 BCS National Championships while playing football for The University of Alabama.
- Alexa Jones, Miss Alabama 2005 and Miss America 2006 second runner-up
- Frank Tipler, cosmologist
- Charles "Bubba" Bailey, the police officer from Hamish and Andy's Caravan of Courage USA
References[change | change source]
- "Annual Estimates of the Population for Incorporated Places in Alabama". United States Census Bureau. 2008-07-10. http://www.census.gov/popest/cities/tables/SUB-EST2007-04-01.csv. Retrieved 2008-07-14.
- "World Championship Domino Tournament". Andalusia Rotary Club. http://www.worlddomino.com/. Retrieved 27 January 2010.