Wiggins during his time with Huntington Prep in 2013
|No. 22 – Minnesota Timberwolves|
|Shooting guard/Small forward|
|Born||February 23, 1995|
|High school||Vaughan (Vaughan, Ontario)|
Huntington Prep (Huntington, West Virginia)
|Listed height||6 ft 8 in (2.03 m)|
|Listed weight||197 lb (89 kg)|
|NBA Draft||2014 / Round: 1 / Pick: 1st overall|
|Selected by the Cleveland Cavaliers|
Andrew Christian Wiggins (born February 23, 1995) is an Canadian professional basketball player. He is a shooting guard-small forward for the Minnesota Timberwolves of the National Basketball Association (NBA). When he was drafted, Wiggins became the second ever Canadian basketball player to be picked #1 overall in the NBA draft.
Wiggins played college basketball at the University of Kansas. During his freshman year there, Wiggins was able to average 17.1 points per game (ppg), 5.9 rebounds per game (rpg), and made 34.1% of his three-pointers. On January 13, 2014, in a game against Iowa State, Wiggins scored 17 points and gained 19 rebounds in a 77–70 victory. He became only the second freshman in the last 15 years (along with Michael Kidd-Gilchrist) to earn those numbers in a win against a ranked opponent.
On June 26, 2014, Wiggins was picked 1st overall by the Cleveland Cavaliers in the 2014 NBA Draft. On August 23, 2014, there was a three-team trade that was done by the Cavaliers, the Minnesota Timberwolves, and the Philadelphia 76ers. The trade sent Wiggins and Anthony Bennett to the Timberwolves, along with Thaddeus Young, of the Sixers. The Cavaliers received Kevin Love from Minnesota and the Sixers received Luc Richard Mbah a Moute and Alexey Shved from Minnesota as well as a 2015 first round draft pick from Cleveland. Wiggins became only the second player since the ABA–NBA merger to have been drafted as the number one pick, only to be traded later without having played a single game for the team he was originally drafted by; Chris Webber was the first following the 1993 NBA draft.
References[change | change source]
- "Cavs take Wiggins with No. 1 pick in NBA draft". NBA. Retrieved 2014-06-27.
- "Kansas Jayhawks bio". Kansas Jayhawks. Retrieved 2014-06-27.
- "Embiid, Wiggins wow, make big statement in win at Iowa State". CBS Sports. Retrieved 2014-06-27.
- "Timberwolves Acquire Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett and Thaddeus Young in Three-Team Trade". Minnesota Timberwolves. Retrieved 2014-10-6. Check date values in:
- "Andrew Wiggins-Kevin Love trade set for takeoff". Toronto Star. Retrieved 2014-10-6. Check date values in: