Meara in 1975.
|Born||September 20, 1929
Brooklyn, New York, U.S.
|Died||May 23, 2015
Manhattan, New York, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Jerry Stiller (1954–2015; her death)|
|Children||Ben Stiller (b. 1965),
Amy Stiller (b. 1961)
Anne Meara (born September 20, 1929 – May 23, 2015) was an American actress and comedian. She and Jerry Stiller were a 1960s comedy team, appearing as Stiller and Meara, and are the parents of actor/comedian Ben Stiller and actress Amy Stiller.
Early life[change | change source]
Meara was born in Brooklyn, New York. She is the daughter of Irish immigrant parents, Mary (née Dempsey) and Edward Joseph Meara, a lawyer. Meara was raised in Roman Catholicism, and converted to Reform Judaism six years after marrying Stiller.
Death[change | change source]
Meara died on May 23, 2015 at the age of 85 of natural causes.
References[change | change source]
- "Actress Anne Meara, Mom of Ben Stiller, Dies". Associated Press. http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/ap-newsbreak-actress-anne-meara-mom-ben-stiller-31276160.
- Bloom, Nate (March 17, 2009). Interfaith Family.com: "A Pint of Guinness, A Cup of Manischevitz: Some Irish/Jewish Connections".
- Anne Meara Biography (1929-)
- "E.J. Meara, Creator Of Comedy Skits, 73". The New York Times. December 16, 1966. http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F50B12F73A54157A93C4A81789D95F428685F9.
- O'Toole, Lesley (December 22, 2006). "Ben Stiller : 'Doing Comedy Is Scary'". The Independent. Archived from the original on January 8, 2007. http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/film/features/article2092609.ece. Retrieved January 10, 2014.
- LA Times
- "Actress and Comedian Anne Meara, Mother of Ben Stiller, Dies at 85". Variety. May 24, 2015. https://variety.com/2015/film/news/anne-meara-dead-jerry-stiller-ben-stiller-1201504499/. Retrieved May 24, 2015.