Anthony Lester, Baron Lester of Herne Hill
Anthony Paul Lester, Baron Lester of Herne Hill, QC (3 July 1936 – 8 August 2020) was a British barrister and politician. He sat in the House of Lords as a non-affiliated peer. He was born into a Jewish family in London.
n 29 June 2007, Lester was appointed by Prime Minister Gordon Brown as a special adviser on constitutional reform to the Secretary of State for Justice. Lester's peerage was announced on 13 August 1993.
Until sexual harassment claims arose in February 2018, Lord Lester sat as a Liberal Democrat. On 12 November 2018, the House of Lords Committee for Privileges and Conduct supported a recommendation that Lord Lester be suspended from the House of Lords until June 2022 as a result of a complaint of sexual harassment.
References[change | change source]
- "Lord Lester of Herne Hill". UK Parliament. Retrieved 2018-11-12.
- Gloger, Dana (11 July 2008). "Aye! To 150 years of Jewish MPs". The Jewish Chronicle.
- "Brown unveils new faces". 29 June 2007. Archived from the original on 1 July 2007.
- "Peer faces suspension over sex claims case". BBC News. 2018-11-12. Retrieved 2018-11-12.
- Elgot, Jessica; Walker, Peter (13 November 2018). "Lord Lester harassment victim urges others to speak out". The Guardian.