Apollo 8 Genesis reading
On December 24, 1968, the crew of Apollo 8 read from the Book of Genesis on a television broadcast of their mission as they orbited the moon. Bill Anders, Jim Lovell, and Frank Borman read verses 1 through 10, using the Authorized King James Version text. This was the most watched television broadcast at the time of its broadcast.
Readings[change | change source]
- Bill Anders
- "We are now approaching lunar sunrise, and for all the people back on Earth, the crew of Apollo 8 has a message that we would like to send to you.
'In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep.
And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.'"
- Jim Lovell
- "And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day."
- Frank Borman
- "'And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.'
And from the crew of Apollo 8, we close with good night, good luck, a Merry Christmas – and God bless all of you, all of you on the good Earth."
References[change | change source]
- "The Apollo 8 Christmas Eve Broadcast". NASA National Space Science Data Center. September 25, 2007. Archived from the original on 19 April 2008. http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/lunar/apollo8_xmas.html.
- "Race to the Moon - Telecasts from Apollo 8". American Experience. PBS. September 22, 2005. Archived from the original on 25 December 2008. https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/moon/peopleevents/e_telecasts.html.
- "The National Archives Features Special Christmas Eve Message from APOLLO 8". U.S. National Archives. December 7, 2006. Archived from the original on 14 January 2009. https://www.archives.gov/press/press-releases/2007/nr07-22.html6.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Apollo 8 Genesis Reading|