Armando (18 September 1929 – 1 July 2018), born Herman Dirk van Dodeweerd, was a Dutch painter, sculptor and writer. He was born in Amsterdam. In 1958 he was one of the founding members of the Nederlandse Informele Groep (Informelen).
His first solo exhibition was at the Galerie Le Canard, Amsterdam, in 1954. At this time he also started to write poetry. He was influenced by the CoBrA art group. In 2007, he retired following an art museum fire that destroyed most of his work.
Honours[change | change source]
- 1990 - Knight of the Order of Oranje-Nassau
- 2006 - Knight of the Order of the Netherlands Lion
- 2009 - The Honorary medal for Arts and Science of the Order of the House of Orange
References[change | change source]
- Armando (August 1997). From Berlin. Hushion House. ISBN 978-0-948462-87-0. Cite has empty unknown parameter:
- "Armandomuseum verliest 63 schilderijen | nu.nl/algemeen | Het laatste nieuws het eerst op". Nu.nl. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- Grenzeloos veelzijdige kunstenaar Armando (88) overleden (in Dutch)
- NRC, 10 december 2009
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Armando (artist) at Wikimedia Commons