Arrondissements of the Cantal department
There are 3 arrondissements in the Cantal department. The French departments, and in other countries, are divided into arrondissements, which may be translated into English as districts (in some cases, as boroughs). The capital of an arrondissement is called a subprefecture.
If the prefecture (capital) of the department is in an arrondissement, that prefecture is the capital of the arrondissement, acting both as a prefecture and as a subprefecture.
Arrondissements are further divided into communes.
The arrondissements of Cantal are:
History[change | change source]
Since its creation, the Cantal department has had few changes:
- 1790 : creation of the department with four districts: Aurillac, Mauriac, Murat and Saint-Flour.
- 1800 : creation of the arrondissements: Aurillac, Mauriac, Murat and Saint-Flour.
- 1926 : the arrondissement of Murat is eliminated.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- ↑ "Régions, départements, arrondissements, cantons et communes" (PDF). Populations légales 2014 (in French). Institut national de la statistique et des études économiques - INSEE. Retrieved 21 January 2017.
- ↑ "Historique du Cantal". Le SPLAF (in French). Retrieved 21 January 2017.