|Mission type||Lunar orbital test flight|
|Mission duration||Planned: 3 weeks|
|Distance travelled||Planned: 1.3 million mi (2.1 million km)|
|Spacecraft type||Orion MPCV|
|Manufacturer||Lockheed Martin / Airbus|
|Start of mission|
|Launch date||16th November 2022|
|Rocket||SLS Block 1|
|Launch site||Kennedy LC-39B|
|End of mission|
|Landing site||Pacific Ocean|
Artemis 1 (previously known as Exploration Mission-1 and before that Space Launch System-1) was an uncrewed flight of the Space Launch System and the second flight of the Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle. It was launched on 16th November, 2022, at 1:47 AM EST, from LC-39B in KSC, Florida. The flight ended on 11 December; The space capsule landed in the Pacific Ocean.
Gallery[change | change source]
Artist's rendering of the launch of Artemis 1
An Artemis orbital path. Artemis 1 flew a higher retrograde orbit, and Artemis 2 will fly this orbital path.
Artemis 1 Welding sequence
Completed Artemis 1 Orion weld structure
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Around the Moon with NASA's First Launch of SLS with Orion". NASA. 2018-05-09. Retrieved 2019-06-04.
- Bergin, Chris (23 February 2012). "Acronyms to Ascent – SLS managers create development milestone roadmap". NASASpaceFlight.com. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- Hill, Bill (March 2012). "Exploration Systems Development Status". NASA. Archived from the original (PDF) on 11 February 2017. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- Bergin, Chris (14 June 2012). "NASA teams evaluating ISS-built Exploration Platform roadmap". NASASpaceFlight.com. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- Grush, Loren (May 17, 2019). "NASA administrator on new Moon plan: 'We're doing this in a way that's never been done before'". The Verge. Retrieved May 17, 2019.
- https://www.dagsavisen.no/nyheter/verden/2022/12/11/romkapsel-har-landet-pa-jordkloden-etter-tur-rundt-manen/. Dagsavisen.no. Retrieved 2022-12-12
Other websites[change | change source]
- Orion website at NASA.gov
- Space Launch System website at NASA.gov
- Simulation of Artemis 1 Launch and CubeSat Deployment at YouTube
- The whole mission simulation at YouTube