Aruna Ramchandra Shanbaug
1 June 1948
|Died||18 May 2015 (aged 66)|
|Cause of death||Pneumonia|
Aruna Ramchandra Shanbaug (1 June 1948 – 18 May 2015) was an Indian nurse who was at the center of attention in a court case on euthanasia after spending 42 years in a coma after being raped and strangled.
Early life[change | change source]
Shanbaug was born in 1948 at Haldipur, Uttar Kannada, Karnataka. She worked as a nurse at the King Edward Memorial Hospital (KEM) in Mumbai. At the time of the attack, she was engaged to a doctor at the same hospital.
Attack[change | change source]
In 1973, while working as a junior nurse at King Edward Memorial Hospital, Parel, Mumbai, Shanbaug was anally raped then strangled by a ward boy, Sohanlal Bhartha Walmiki. She remained in a vegetative state following the assault.
Court case[change | change source]
On 24 January 2011, after she had been in this state for 37 years, the Supreme Court of India responded to the plea for euthanasia filed by Aruna's friend, journalist Pinki Virani, by setting up medical experts to test her.
Death[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "India rape nurse dies after 42 years". 18 May 2015 – via www.bbc.com.
- "KEM nurses, dean celebrate Aruna Shanbaug's birthday". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- "KEM Hospital celebrates Aruna Shanbaug's 64th birthday". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- "KEM celebrates Aruna Shanbaug's 65th birthday". DNA India. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- "Rebirth for Aruna, say joyous Mumbai hospital staff". Deccan Herald. March 7, 2011.
- "Ten Minutes To Hell".
- "India joins select nations in legalising "passive euthanasia"". The Hindu. 7 March 2011.
- "Aruna Shanbaug: Brain-damaged India nurse dies 42 years after rape". BBC News. BBC. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- "Raped Indian nurse dies after 42 years in coma". The Guardian. Associated Press. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- "1973 Sexual Assault Victim Aruna Shanbaug passes away in Mumbai". news.biharprabha.com. 18 May 2015. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Never Ending Trauma Of Innocent Aruna!!
- Court ruling, Aruna Shanbaug vs. Union of India, March 7, 2011 at Supreme Court of India
- Pinki Virani's Interview - June 13, 2008
- "India court admits plea to end life of rape victim". BBC News, Delhi. 17 December 2009. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Aruna Shanbaug case: Supreme Court rejects euthanasia plea". NDTV. March 7, 2011. Italic or bold markup not allowed in: