||The English used in this article or section may not be easy for everybody to understand. (February 2012)|
The Aryan race is an idea formed in the 19th and early 20th century. According to this idea, the early speakers of the Indo-European languages and their modern descendants are a Caucasian race. They descended from Proto-Indo-Europeans known as the Aryan race. In the late 19th century and the early 20th century, the Proto-Indo-Europeans were called Proto-Aryans.
The term Aryan comes from the ancient Sanskrit word ārya, which was a term used by Sanskrit speaking people to distinguish themselves from other races. The Iranians also used the terms, and the name Iran means "land of the Aryans".  The idea of an Aryan race was first used as a category of people but was later used by occult movements such as Theosophy. It was also later used by Nazism and white supremisism in racist ways.
Nazism[change | change source]
The ideology of Nazism was based upon the idea of the Aryan race being a master race. The Nazi view of the Aryan race came from earlier racial theorists such as Arthur de Gobineau and Houston Stewart Chamberlain.
Occult belief[change | change source]
Theosophy, a mystical occult society founded by Helena Blavatsky believes that the Arabian people and the Jews are a part of the Aryan race. It is believed by Theosophists that the Arabians used the Semitic languages of the people around them. These people had moved to the area from Atlantis. Theosophists claim that the Jews began as a part of the Arabian subrace in what is now Yemen around 30,000 BC. They moved first to Somalia and then to Egypt where they lived until the time of Moses.
References[change | change source]
- Asgharzadeh Alireza 2007. Iran and the challenge of diversity: Islamic fundamentalism, Aryanist racism and democratic struggles. Palgrave McMillan, p75.
- Trautmann, Thomas R. Aryans and British India Yoda Press New Dehli 1997 page xxxii
- Longerich, Peter 2010. Holocaust: the Nazi persecution and murder of the Jews. Oxford University Press, p30. ISBN 978-0-19-280436-5
- Yenne, Bill 2010. Hitler's master of the dark arts: Himmler's black knights and the occult origins of the SS. Minneapolis: Zenith, p21/2. ISBN 978-0-7603-3778-3
- Powell, A.E. The Solar System: A Complete Outline of the Theosophical Scheme of Evolution London:1930 The Theosophical Publishing House Pages 298-299