Life[change | change source]
Ashwaq Moharram was born in Yemen. She received a bachelor’s degree in medicine and general surgery from Sana’a University in 1998. In 2004, she received a diploma in reproductive health from Liverpool University in Britain. In 2013, she received a master’s degree from the National University of Malaysia.
After the war started, Ashwaq's husband became sick. He had a heart infection. He needed medicine, but there was no medicine in the hospital. He went to Jordan with their two children.
Work[change | change source]
In 2000 Ashwaq went to work at the General Hospital in Hodeidah. In 2001 she became the head of the department of obstetrics and gynecology. In 2007 she became a lecturer at the Faculty of Health Sciences at Hodeidah University.  She is now the Deputy Director General of the Public Health and Population Office of the Directorate of Hodeidah.
Before the war, Ashwaq worked with international organizations to fight hunger. In March 2016, after the war started, the organizations left Yemen. After the international organizations left, she gave food to people at her own expense, using her mobile clinic.
In July 2016, three youths sexually assaulted an 11-year-old girl in the Zahra neighborhood. Ashwaq examined the child and the police arrested the three youths. In October 2016, Ashwaq was arrested by Houthis while giving people food. The local people stood in front of them and forced them to free Ashwaq.
Awards[change | change source]
- BBC named her one of their 100 Women of 2016.
- She was in a special BBC television program about starvation in Yemen.
- She was honored by the Arab Foundation for the Future and the League of Arab peoples in Egypt.
- She was nominated for a Nobel prize. 
Other websites[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- al-Maghafi, Nawal (22 September 2016). "One woman's lonely struggle against famine in Yemen" – via www.bbc.com.
- "BBC 100 Women 2016: Who is on the list?". 21 November 2016 – via www.bbc.com.
- الغد, عدن. "درع الإنجاز للدكتورة اليمنية اشواق محرم من قبل جامعة الشعوب العربية ومؤسسة المستقبل بجمهورية مصر العربية".
- "الحوثيون يحاولون إعتقال الدكتورة اشواق محرم في منطقة التحيتا في الحديدة وأبناء المنطقة يتصدون لهمفيديو". 27 October 2016.
- "اختيار الدكتورة "أشواق محرم" كافضل 100 إمرأة في العالم لعام 2016 - بوابة اليمن الإخبارية".
- firstname.lastname@example.org. "حاربت المجاعة منفردة.. الطبيبة أشواق محرم .. كم يمنية مثلها؟!".
- ""أشواق محرم"...طبيبة السلام التي تواجه مجاعة اليمن بمفردها".
- almaghribtoday. "الدكتورة اشواق محرم توضّح تفاصيل اغتصاب طفلة في محافظة الحديدة".
- "BBC تروي قصص 100 امرأة... بينهنّ 13 عربية إحداهن يمنية".
- Arabic, B. B. C. "السيدة التي تحارب المجاعة منفردة في اليمن".
- "صديقة الفقراء والمساكين .. الدكتورة أشواق محرم مرشحة لجائزة نوبل هذا العام - الشرعية نت".