Büsingen am Hochrhein
|Büsingen am Hochrhein|
|• Mayor||Markus Möll|
|• Total||7.62 km2 (2.94 sq mi)|
|Elevation||385 m (1,263 ft)|
|• Density||180/km2 (460/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Postal codes||D-78266 / CH-8238|
Büsingen am Hochrhein often just known as Busingen, is a German village. It is part of the German state (Bundesland) of Baden-Württemberg. The town belongs to the district (Kreis) of Konstanz. Büsingen has an area of about 7.62 km2 or 2.94 sq mi. About 1,350 people live there. The village is the only exclave of Germany. It is surrounded by territory that belongs to the Swiss Cantons of Schaffhausen, Zürich and Thurgau. In the south, its border is the river Rhine.
There are no border controls between Büsingen and Switzerland because Büsingen has a customs union with this country.
Because the town is surrounded by Swiss territory, but is politically German, many things exist twice there. Büsingen has for example two postal codes and area codes. The official currency is the Euro. However, most things like electricity and cable television come from Switzerland and have to be paid in Swiss Francs. Büsingen depends heavilyon Switzerland in economics.
Büsingen only has one elementary school. Pupils can attend the school there up to the fourth grade. After this, the parents have to decide whether the children should attend a German or a Swiss school.
A Swiss Postbus connects the village to the city of Schaffhausen.
Most people who live in Büsingen, work in Switzerland and earn their salary in Swiss francs.
Büsingen has a large proportion of residents who are old age pensioners.
About 30% of the resident population of Büsingen hold a Swiss passport.
History[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Gemeinden in Deutschland nach Fläche, Bevölkerung und Postleitzahl am 30.09.2016". Statistisches Bundesamt (in German). 2016.
- "Buesingen am Hochrhein". buesingen.de. 2006 [last update]. Retrieved 24 August 2011. Check date values in:
- "Exklusives Büsingen – der einzig deutsche Ort, der in der Schweiz liegt. - SWR Fernsehen :: Fahr mal hin | SWR.de (German)". swr.de. 2011 [last update]. Retrieved 24 August 2011. Check date values in:
- "Büsingen (German)". Spiegel Online. Hamburg: SpiegelNet GmbH. Retrieved 24 August 2011.
- "Willkommen | Gemeinde Büsingen am Hochrhein die einzige Enklave / Exklave in der Schweiz". www.buesingen.de (in German). Retrieved 2018-07-17.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Büsingen am Hochrhein.|