B. K. S. Iyengar
|Died||20 August 2014 (aged 95)|
|Cause of death||Heart attack caused by renal failure|
|Occupation||Yoga teacher, author|
|Known for||Iyengar Yoga|
|Relatives||Abhijata Sridhar, Hareeth Sridhar (grandchildren)|
B. K. S. Iyengar, or Bellur Krishnamachar Sundararaja Iyengar (December 14, 1918 - August 20, 2014) was an Indian yoga teacher and writer. He founded the style of yoga known as "Iyengar Yoga". And It Was An Honour By Him To Invent A New Yoga Style After Ages. He was thought to be one of the foremost yoga teachers in the world.
He was awarded the Padma Shri in 1991, the Padma Bhushan in 2002 and the Padma Vibhushan in 2014. In 2004, Iyengar was named one of the 100 most influential people in the world by Time Magazine.
References[change | change source]
- Aubrey, Allison. "Light on life: B.K.S. Iyengar's Yoga insights". Morning Edition: National Public Radio, 10 November 1995. (full text) Accessed 4 July 2007
- Stukin, Stacie (10 October 2005). "Yogis gather around the guru". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- "Ruskin Bond, Vidya Balan, Kamal Haasan honoured with Padma awards - Hindustan Times". Archived from the original on 2014-08-25. Retrieved 2014-08-20.
- "Padma Awards Announced". Press Information Bureau, Ministry of Home Affairs. 25 January 2014. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- 2004 TIME 100 - B.K.S. Iyengar Archived 2010-12-28 at the Wayback Machine Heroes & Icons, TIME.
- By B.K.S. Iyengar. "Yoga News & Trends - Light on Iyengar". Yoga Journal. Archived from the original on 31 August 2007. Retrieved 15 November 2012.
- "Yoga guru B. K. S. Iyengar passes away". The Hindu.com. Retrieved August 20, 2014.
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to B. K. S. Iyengar at Wikimedia Commons
- The official Iyengar website
- BBC World Service article and programme by Mark Tully
- Leap of faith(2008, Trivedi & Makim) Documentary about the life of BKS Iyengar