A balk is something that a pitcher does in baseball that is not allowed, or illegal. If a balk happens the umpire will point to the pitcher and yell "balk", and the runners on base get to move up one base. If there are no runners on base, a ball is issued to the batter.
Some ways a balk can happen include;
- The pitcher faking a pitch
- The pitcher throwing the ball to a base where there is no runner.
- Pitching the ball before everyone is ready
- The pitcher takes too long to pitch
- If the pitcher drops the ball, even if he didn't mean too
There are other ways it can happen, but these are the main ones.