July 24, 1899
West Springfield, Massachusetts
|Died||January 3, 2015
(aged 115 years, 163 days)
|Title||Oldest living resident of Massachusetts|
|Spouse(s)||Paul Madigan (1896–1976)
(m. 1925–1976; his death)
|Parent(s)||Harry and Grace (Bennett) Emerson|
Bernice Madigan (July 24, 1899 – January 3, 2015) was an American supercentenarian. She was the oldest living resident of Massachusetts, the fourth-oldest living person in the United States, and the world's fifth-oldest living person at the time of her death.
A lifelong Republican, she attended the Inauguration of Warren G. Harding in 1921, and cited Dwight D. Eisenhower and Ronald Reagan as her favorite U.S. Presidents. "Reagan accomplished more for the government. Eisenhower I thought was very good in some ways in the White House. I liked them both very much."
Madigan met her husband, Paul, in Washington, and they were married 50 years. Paul died in 1976. She has outlived a brother, Roy Emerson, and a sister, Marilyn Emerson Martin.
Madigan died in Cheshire, Massachusetts, aged 115.
References[change | change source]
- "State’s oldest woman turns 113". North Adams Transcript. http://www.thetranscript.com/ci_21135435.
- "Oldest Validated Living Supercentenarians". Gerontology Research Group. http://grg.org/Adams/E.HTM. Retrieved December 20, 2012.
- "Paul Madigan, "United States Social Security Death Index"". Family Search. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JPX9-BJ7.
- "Bernice M Emerson, "District of Columbia Marriages, 1811-1950"". Family Search. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V64N-G2V.
- "Harry G. Emerson in entry for Bernice M. Emerson, "Massachusetts, Births, 1841-1915"". Family Search. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FXFM-3LF.
- Cheshire Woman 16th Oldest in the World
- Cheshire Woman Is Fourth Oldest in the World