Bible in Basic English
|Bible in Basic English|
|Full name:||Bible in Basic English|
|Author(s):||S. H. Hooke (ed.)|
|Textual basis:||Hebrew / Greek|
|Publisher:||Cambridge University Press|
At the first God made the heaven and the earth. And the earth was waste and without form; and it was dark on the face of the deep: and the Spirit of God was moving on the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
Genesis 1:1 in other translations
For God had such love for the world that he gave his only Son, so that whoever has faith in him may not come to destruction but have eternal life.
John 3:16 in other translations
The Bible In Basic English (also known as the BBE) is a translation of the Bible into Basic English. The BBE was translated by Professor S. H. Hooke using the standard 850 Basic English words. 100 words that were helpful to understand poetry were added along with 50 "Bible" words for a total of 1,000 words.
The New Testament was published in 1941 and the Old Testament was published in 1949.
References[change | change source]
- ↑ Metzger, Bruce M. (2001). The Bible in Translation: Ancient and English Versions. Baker Books. pp. 163–164. ISBN 978-1-58558-349-2.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Text of the BBE, searchable; the KJV and CUV are available for comparison
- Bible Study Tools - Bible in Basic English
- BBE on StudyBible.info
- BBE on Scripturefirst.net
- PDF of 1965 printing of BBE
- Bible in Basic English Collection at the John Rylands Library Manchester.
- BBE license Information
- BBE on Holy-Bible.online
- Works by Bible in Basic English at LibriVox (public domain audiobooks)