Bop It is a series of toys made by Hasbro. They are audio games. The aim of the game is to respond quickly to the commands that are produced through the game's speakers. There are several responses, including pull handles, twisting cranks, spin-able wheels, toggle switches. Each command requires a different response. A beat is played during the game and the beat will get faster as the player scores more points. Bop It has been very popular as a children's game.
The game was designed by Dan Klistner. The design was developed by several Hasbro designers, including Bob Welch. There have been several versions. The original version was released in 1996. The current classic version was released in 2008. It was demonstrated at the London Toy Fair in 2009.
- Current models
- Bop It! (2008)
- Bop It! Bounce (2009)
- Bop It! XT (2010)
- Bop It! Smash (2012)
- Bop It! Tetris (2013)
- Bop It! Beats (2014)
- Bop It! Micro (2014)
- Bop It! R2D2 (2015)
- Bop It! 2016 (2016)
- No longer made
- Bop It (1996)
- Bop It Extreme (1998)
- Bop It Extreme 2 (2002)
- Bratz Bop It (2004), a Bratz version
- Bop It Blast (2005)
- Bop It Download (2006)
In 2009, EA Games made a video game called Hasbro Family Games Night 2. It had Bop It as one of the games that could be played. It is available for the Nintendo DS and the Nintendo Wii. In 2011, EA Games made an iPhone application which played exactly like the handheld game. It has the same commands from the handheld games and added extra commands which were never invented on the handheld game.
- Bop It! [Rules & Instructions]. Hasbro. 1997.
- Orbanes, Philip. The Game Makers: The Story of Parker Brothers From Tiddledy Winks to Trivial Pursuit. Harvard Business School Press. p.iv. 2004.
- Szymanski, Marianne. "The Use of Focus Groups in Toy Testing", Advertising & Marketing to Children. Vol.1. No.2. Winthrop Publications. p.162. 25 May 1999.
- , US 6086478
- , US 6210278
- Bop It (1996) Rules and Instructions
- Buddy Rubino (13 January 2013). "IAmA Voice Actor: Buddy Rubino. Voice of Bop It!, characters in the Borderlands video game (Robot Revolution) and hundreds of radio and TV commercials. AMAA!". Best of AMA. https://bestofama.com/amas/16gsce.
- Bop It! Bounce [Rules & Instructions]. Hasbro 2009.
- Bop It! XT [Rules & Instructions]. Hasbro. 2010.
- Oxox, Clairejustine (August 2014). "Bop It Beats Game Review". http://www.clairejustineoxox.com/2014/08/bop-it-beats-from-hasbro-gaming-review.html. Retrieved 20/02/2016.
- Seppala, Timothy (15/02/2016). "Bop It 2016 Is More Complicated Than You Can Remember". Engadget. http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/15/bop-it-2016-toy-fair/. Retrieved 20/02/2016.
- Bop It Extreme Rules and Instructions
- Bop It Extreme 2 rules and instructions
- Bratz Bop It Instructions. Hasbro. 2004.
- Bop It Blast Game Instructions. Hasbro. 2005.
- Hasbro Family Game Night 2 Wii. IGN. Retrieved 2010-07-07.
- Bop It iPhone App