Bop It is a series of battery-powered games made by Hasbro. The aim of the game is to respond quickly to the directions that come out of the game's speakers. These directions are given in a way that requires the player do use different devices on the machine, such as pull handles, twist cranks, spin wheels, or toggle switches. A beat is played during the game and the beat will get faster as the player scores more points, making it harder for the player to respond.
Bop It can be played by one to four people at a time and has been very popular as a children's game. It was designed by Dan Klistner  and developed by other Hasbro designers, including Bob Welch. The original version was released in 1996, and there have been several versions made since then. The current classic version was released in 2016 to mark the 20th anniversary of the original game. It was demonstrated at the New York Toy Fair in 2016 before the game was released in June 2016. It is called Bop It! New Moves.
Models[change | change source]
- Re-Release Series (Featuring Buddy Rubino as the Main Voice for Bop It, Twist It Pull It Games) (2008+)
- Bop It! Shout ( made in 2008 - released in 2009)
- Bop It! Bounce (made in 2009 - released in 2010)
- Bop It! XT (Made in 2010 - released in 2011)
- Bop It! Smash (2012)
- Bop It! Tetris (2013)
- Bop It! Beats (2014)
- Bop It! Micro (2014)
- Bop It! R2D2 (2015)
- Bop It! with 10 New Moves (Made in 2015 - released in (2016)
- Bop It! BB8 (2016)
- Bop It Maker (2017)
- Bop It Classic (2019)
- Bop It! Baby Yoda (2020)
- Original Series (1996-2006)
- Bop It (1996)
- Bop It (2000)
- Bop It Extreme (1998)
- Bop It Extreme 2 (2002)
- Bratz Bop It (2004), a Bratz version
- Bop It Blast (2005)
- Bop It Download (2006)
Zing It[change | change source]
Zing It is a yo-yo version of Bop It. It tells commands that the player must follow along with. Like the original Bop It, there are three commands that may be said: "Bop it!" (requiring the player to press the purple button), "Zing it!" (requiring the player to drop the yo-yo downward and send it back up again), and "Loop it!" (requiring the player to do the "'round the world" yo-yo trick). Zing It has 3 modes: "Vox Bop" (as with Bop It), "Beat Bop" (again, as with Bop It), and "Vox Bop Challenge" (where the game will tell a series of commands which must be done in correctly). As with Bop It and Bop It Extreme, Zing It announces the score musically by sound effects. Different tones represent different point values. There is a maximum score of 250.
Video games[change | change source]
In 2009, EA Games made a video game called Hasbro Family Games Night 2. It had Bop It as one of the games that could be played. It is available for the Nintendo DS and the Nintendo Wii. In 2011, EA Games made an iPhone application which played exactly like the handheld game. It has the same commands from the handheld games and added extra commands which were never invented on the handheld game.
References[change | change source]
- Bop It! [Rules & Instructions]. Hasbro. 1997.
- Orbanes, Philip. The Game Makers: The Story of Parker Brothers From Tiddledy Winks to Trivial Pursuit. Harvard Business School Press. p.iv. 2004.
- Szymanski, Marianne. "The Use of Focus Groups in Toy Testing", Advertising & Marketing to Children. Vol.1. No.2. Winthrop Publications. p.162. 25 May 1999.
- , US 6086478
- , US 6210278
- "Wayback Machine". web.archive.org. 27 October 2009.
- "Bop It! 2016 is more complicated than you remember". Engadget. Retrieved 2019-07-07.
- Buddy Rubino (13 January 2013). "IAmA Voice Actor: George Fortnum. Voice of Bop It!, characters in the Borderlands video game (Robot Revolution) and hundreds of radio and TV commercials. AMAA!". Best of AMA.
- Bop It! Bounce [Rules & Instructions]. Hasbro 2009.
- Bop It! XT [Rules & Instructions]. Hasbro. 2010.
- Oxox, Clairejustine (August 2014). "Bop It Beats Game Review". Retrieved 20/02/2016. Check date values in:
- Seppala, Timothy (15/02/2016). "Bop It 2016 Is More Complicated Than You Can Remember". Engadget. Retrieved 20/02/2016. Check date values in:
- "Bop It! Maker edition will get your creative juices flowing". Engadget. Retrieved 2017-03-02.
- Smyths Toys Superstores (2019-07-24), Bop It!- Smyths Toys, retrieved 2019-07-27
- "There's a Baby Yoda Bop It Coming and Fans Don't Know How They Feel". Alt Press. Retrieved 14 July 2020.
- "Bop It Extreme Rules and Instructions" (PDF).
- "Bop It Extreme 2 rules and instructions" (PDF).
- Bratz Bop It Instructions. Hasbro. 2004.
- Bop It Blast Game Instructions. Hasbro. 2005.
- Hasbro Family Game Night 2 Wii. IGN. Retrieved 2010-07-07.
- "Bop It iPhone App".