|Latin: Universitas Brunensis|
|Motto||In Deo Speramus (Latin)|
Motto in English
|In God We Hope|
|Endowment||US$3.5 billion (2017)|
|Provost||Richard M. Locke|
|Students||9,380 (Fall 2017)|
|Undergraduates||6,580 (Fall 2017)|
|Postgraduates||2,255 (Fall 2017)|
|Location||Providence, Rhode Island, U.S.|
143 acres (579,000 m²)
|Colors||Brown, White, and, Cardinal|
Template:College color boxes
|NCAA Division I – Ivy League|
ECAC Hockey, EARC/EAWRC
|Mascot||Bruno the Bear|
Brown University is an American private research university in Providence, Rhode Island, United States and is a member of the Ivy League. It was founded in 1764 as the College in the English Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, early in the reign of King George III (1760–1820) and before American independence from the British Empire. Brown is the third oldest institution of higher education in New England and seventh oldest in the United States.
Brown is ranked as the 14th national university behind Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Stanford, University of Chicago, Duke, MIT, University of Pennsylvania, Caltech, Dartmouth, Johns Hopkins, and Northwestern. Brown was the first college in the country to accept students of any religion.
It is the second last ranked Ivy League University with Cornell being the last.
References[change | change source]
- "Brown University Admission Facts and Figures". Brown University. Retrieved October 8, 2014.
- As of October 3, 2017. "news.brown.edu/articles/2017/10/endowment". Brown.edu. 2017.
- Nickel, Mark. "Locke named 13th provost of Brown University". News from Brown. Brown University. Retrieved 14 September 2015.
Richard M. Locke ... has been appointed provost of the University ... [starting] July 1, 2015
- "Faculty and Employees".
- "Facts about Brown University". Brown University. November 2015. Retrieved February 5, 2016.
- Brown Visual Identity Policy
- "Encyclopedia Brunoniana | Bicentennial celebration". Brown University. Retrieved 9 July 2009.
- "Get to Know Us: Our History". Brown University Admission Office.