Buangkok MRT station
This page or section needs to be cleaned up. The specific problem is: inconsistency between lede and history section. (July 2020)
|Location||10 Sengkang Central|
|Operated by||SBS Transit (ComfortDelGro Corporation)|
|Platforms||2 (1 island platform)|
|Opened||15 January 2006|
Buangkok MRT Station (NE15) is a MRT station in Sengkang, Singapore. It opened on 15 January 2006. It opened after the public wanted it to be opened. It is part of the North East MRT Line.
History[change | change source]
When the North East Line opened, it was one of the 2 completed MRT stations of North East Line that was not open, the other being Woodleigh which opened on 20 June 2011. This station was originally planned to be opened with 15 other stations on the North East Line. However, a few days before the opening, the operator SBS Transit decided not to open the station as the area around the station was undeveloped and the company claimed that the number of passengers would be too low to cover operating costs.
The opening date of the station was 15 January 2006. The station was well maintained like any other station throughout the time before it was opened. To prepare for the station's opening, the programming had to be updated to include Buangkok. Residents had said they would be willing to walk 400 metres to the station every day.
The station opened on 15 January 2006. SBS Transit expected around 3,500 passengers to use the station daily, which would be the lowest among all the stations along the line, resulting in the station making a loss. However, the actual numbers was much lower than expected during its first week of operation. Only an average of 1,386 passengers used the station each day. For comparison, Clarke Quay station, which is the second most unused station, already had more than 6,000 passenger trips each day. However, Clarke Quay was located in the Central Business District with considerable development in the area. This was because the station was located over 400 metres from most residents' homes.
From 5 January 2018, cash top ups are not accepted at the passenger service centres at this station.
Art in Transit[change | change source]
Related pages[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Buangkok MRT Station.|
References[change | change source]
- "Minister For Transport Announces Opening Of Buangkok MR Station | Ministry of Transport, Singapore". www.mot.gov.sg. Retrieved 2017-12-04.[permanent dead link]
- "North East Line". SGTrains. Retrieved 2017-12-04.
- "Station Details - NE15 Buangkok". www.sbstransit.com.sg. Retrieved 2017-12-04.
- "Minister For Transport Announces Opening Of Buangkok MRT Station". Ministry of Transport. 11 November 2005. Retrieved 17 July 2020.
- Loo, Serene; Leow, Joanne (27 July 2005). "Residents willing to walk over 400 metres to Buangkok station: survey". Channel NewsAsia. Archived from the original on 1 December 2005.
- "Buangkok NEL Station Commences Revenue Service Amid Great Fanfare". SBS Transit. 15 January 2006. Retrieved 29 August 2019.
- Min Zhang, Lim (31 August 2017). "11 train stations will no longer accept cash-top ups at counters from Sept 1". The Straits Times.
- "Welcome to SBS Transit". www.sbstransit.com.sg. Retrieved 2017-12-04.