Calvin Klein (fashion designer)
Calvin Richard Klein
November 19, 1942
Bronx, New York, U.S.
|Education||Fashion Institute of Technology|
|Calvin Klein Inc.|
(m. 1965; div. 1974)
(m. 1986; div. 2006)
Calvin Richard Klein (born November 19, 1942) is an American fashion designer. He launched the company that would later become Calvin Klein Inc., in 1968. In addition to clothing, Klein also has given his name to a range of perfumes, watches, and jewelry.
Early life[change | change source]
Klein was born to a Jewish family in The Bronx, New York. He studied fashion in New York City and apprenticed for a suit manufacturer. In 1968, he launched his first company with a childhood friend, Barry K. Schwartz.
In 1974, a tight-fitting signature jeans designed by Klein went on to gross 200,000 US Dollars in their first week of sales. He also became the first designer to receive outstanding design in men's and women's wear award from the CFDA award show in the same year.
References[change | change source]
- "Calvin j". Citylife.com. Archived from the original on 1 September 2009. Retrieved 28 January 2010. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Berger, Joseph. "Two Fashion Stalwarts, Reared on Same Bronx Catwalk". City Room. Retrieved 2017-10-18.
- "HUNGARIAN ROOTS: AMERICAN FASHION KING, CALVIN KLEIN - Hungary Today". Hungary Today. Retrieved 2017-10-18.
- "Calvin Klein | Fashion Designer Biography". FAMOUS FASHION DESIGNERS. Retrieved 2017-10-18.
- "Raf Simons Is The First Designer To Win Both The Menswear & Womenswear CFDA Awards Since 1993". Harper's BAZAAR. 2017-06-06. Retrieved 2017-10-18.
- "Raf Simons Follows in Calvin Klein's Footsteps, Makes CFDA Awards History". Vogue. Retrieved 2017-10-18.
Other websites[change | change source]
- The Biography Channel Archived 2007-09-01 at the Wayback Machine
- Some History and Background on Calvin Klein
- Calvin Klein — a modern fashion icon Archived 2009-03-23 at the Wayback Machine
- People magazine,January 18,1982. Calvin Klein, King of clothes
- The Latest Calvin by Michael Gross, NY Magazine August 8, 1988