|29th United States Ambassador to Japan|
November 12, 2013 – January 18, 2017
|Preceded by||John Roos|
|Succeeded by||William F. Hagerty|
|Born||Caroline Bouvier Kennedy
November 27, 1957
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Edwin Arthur Schlossberg
|Children||Rose Kennedy Schlossberg
Tatiana Celia Schlossberg
John Bouvier Schlossberg
|Parents||John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Jacqueline Lee Bouvier
|Residence||New York City, New York
American Embassy Residence
|Alma mater||Harvard College (A.B.)
Columbia Law School (J.D.)
Early life[change | change source]
Kennedy was born in New York City. Her parents were then Senator John F. Kennedy and his wife Jacqueline. She was only three, when her father became the 35th president of the United States. She lived in the White House from January 20, 1961 until his assassination on November 22, 1963. She then lived for a while in Georgetown, Washington, D.C. before moving with her mother and younger brother John in New York City in late 1964.
Marriage and family[change | change source]
She married Edwin Schlossberg on July 19, 1986. They have three children; Rose (b. 1988), Tatiana (b. 1990) and John (b. 1993). Her mother died with cancer in 1994 and her brother in a plane crash in 1999.
Ambassador to Japan[change | change source]
Kennedy was the nominee of President Barack Obama to be Ambassador to Japan. On July 24, 2013, Obama announced Kennedy as his nominee to succeed current Ambassador John Roos. Kennedy was confirmed by the Senate on October 16, 2013 and Kennedy became the first female American ambassador to Japan. The prospective nomination was first reported in February 2013 and, in mid-July 2013, formal diplomatic agreement was reportedly received from the Japanese government. She assumed her ambassador duties on November 13, 2013.
Personal life[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- Gross, Michael (July 8, 1986). "Caroline Kennedy's fiance respected as innovator". Star-News. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=gsAsAAAAIBAJ&sjid=GRQEAAAAIBAJ&pg=3749,2092594&dq=roman+catholic+caroline-kennedy&hl=en.
- "President Obama Announces More Key Administration Posts". Whitehouse.Gov. July 24, 2013. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/07/24/president-obama-announces-more-key-administration-posts. Retrieved July 24, 2013.
- "Caroline Kennedy chosen as Ambassador to Japan". Politico. July 24, 2013. http://www.politico.com/story/2013/07/caroline-kennedy-ambassador-japan-94688.html?hp=f3. Retrieved July 24, 2013.
- Landler, Mark, "Caroline Kennedy Chosen to Be Japan Ambassador", New York Times, July 24, 2013. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- Christian science Monitor
- bloomberg.com, February 27, 2013.
- Kamen, Al, "Caroline Kennedy poised for Japan", Washington Post, July 13, 2013. Retrieved 2013-07-13.