The Caucasus Emirate (Имарат Кавказ Imarat Kavkaz) is a self-proclaimed virtual state entity. It claims to be the successor to the Chechen Republic of Ichkeria. It was announced on October 31, 2007 by former President of Ichkeria, Dokka Umarov. Its military branch is the Caucasian Front.
Declaration[change | change source]
On October 31, 2007, the Islamic nationalists news agency Chechen-press reported that the President of Ichkeria Doka Umarov had proclaimed an Emirate in the Caucasus and declared himself its Emir, thereby abolishing the Chechen Republic of Ichkeria and its presidency.
Structure[change | change source]
The Caucasus Emirate is claimed to be composed of the following wilayahs (provinces):
- Vilayat Noxçiyçö (Chechnya)
- Vilayat Ġalġayçö (Ingushetia and North Ossetia)
- Vilayat Daghestan
- The joint Vilayat of Kabarda, Balkar (Kabardino-Balkaria) and Karachay (the greater part of Karachay-Cherkessia)
- Vilayat Nogay steppe (areas inhabited by the Nogay people in Stavropol Krai)
References[change | change source]
- Official Release of the Statement by Amir Dokka Umarov about the Declaration of the Caucasus Emirate
- Karachaevo-Cherkessia Faces Renewed Militant Activity, Mairbek Vatchagaev, The Jamestown Foundation, September 26, 2008 09:56 AM
- The Caucasus Emirate on the road from Yemen to Algeria (Part 1), Sergei Davydov, "Prague Watchdog", June 6th 2009
- Amir of the Caucasus Emirate abolishes the Cabinet of Ministers, the Parliament of the former C.R.I.