Cengage Learning, or Cengage, is a publisher. It makes and sells textbooks and other educational content. It is also a technology and services company. Their customers are in higher education, K-12, companies, and libraries around the world. Cengage has business in more than 20 countries.
Company information[change | change source]
The company headquarters in Boston, Massachusetts.About 5,000 people work at Cengage in 20 countries. The headquarters was in Stamford, Connecticut until April 2014.
Products and services[change | change source]
Cengage sells print and digital textbooks. It also sells additional materials to teachers to help them use those textbooks. Online products include reference databases and distance learning courses. Cengage also sells test preparation materials, corporate training courses, career assessment tools, materials for specific academic disciplines, and custom solutions.
History[change | change source]
Cengage Learning used to be called Thomson Learning. The Thomson Corporation sold it to a private equity group including Apax Partners and OMERS Capital Partners for US $7.75 billion, and the name was changed to Cengage Learning on 24 July 2007. In 2011, Cengage Learning bought the National Geographic Society's school publishing business. It combined this school business with the Global ELT business to make the National Geographic Learning brand.
Buying other companies[change | change source]
Cengage has grown by buying other publishing companies. These are some fo the important ones:
|Date of acquisition announced||Asset acquired||Industry|
|1 March 2004||Education to Go||Online continuing education courses|
|16 May 2008||PAL Publications||Professional reference series|
|2 June 2008||Houghton Mifflin College Division||Publishing for 2- and 4-year colleges|
|17 July 2008||Gatlin Education Services||Web-based training for education providers|
|16 December 2008||HighBeam Research||Paid search engine of newspapers and magazines|
|1 August 2011||National Geographic School Publishing||Publishing for K-12 Schools|
|September 2015||Learning Objects, Inc||Learning Management Systems and Adaptive Education Tools|
|October 2015||Pathbrite, Inc||ePortfolio services for learning, reflection, and career advancement|
|September 2016||WebAssign||Online instructional application for faculty and students|
Brands/imprints[change | change source]
The company also publishes books with other names: 4LTR Press, Aplia, Cengage Learning PTR, Chilton, Education To Go, Gale, Milady, MindTap, and National Geographic Learning.
References[change | change source]
- (Jun 27, 2014) Global Publishing Leaders 2014: Cengage Archived 2015-06-12 at the Wayback Machine publishersweekly.com
- Company Info - Wall Street Journal. Cengage Learning Archived 2015-06-18 at the Wayback Machine
- Company Overview of Cengage Learning, Inc. Archived 2017-08-09 at the Wayback Machine BloombergBusiness
- Boston publisher launches a Netflix for textbooks
- "Cengage Learning Files for Bankruptcy". New York Times. July 2, 2013. Archived from the original on November 8, 2014. Retrieved 2014-11-07.
- Jinks, Beth (June 24, 2011) Apax's Cengage Buying National Geographic's School Publisher Archived 2016-07-31 at the Wayback Machine Bloomberg.com
- Howard, Jennifer (July 3, 2013) Publisher's Bankruptcy Filing Comes as Market for Print Textbooks Shrinks Archived 2015-05-12 at the Wayback Machine The Chronicle of Higher Education
- MacFadyen, Ken (June 9, 2008) Thomson Course Technology Acquires Education To Go To Expand Continuing Education Offerings Archived 2016-01-29 at the Wayback Machine
- MacFadyen, Ken (June 9, 2008) Cengage Buys Houghton Mifflin's College Unit Archived 2015-06-05 at the Wayback Machine themiddlemarket.com
- Polanka, Sue (Dec 16, 2008) http://www.libraries.wright.edu/noshelfrequired/2008/12/16/highbeam-research-now-part-of-galecengage/ Archived June 5, 2015, at the Wayback Machine No Shelf Required - Wright State University Libraries
- "Cengage Acquires WebAssign, Strengthening Market Position in Science, Technology and Math". Cengage. 2016-09-27. Archived from the original on 2016-11-16. Retrieved 2016-11-15.
- Mike W. Peng, Global Business (2009), p. 3
- Hoover's Handbook of World Business 2011 (2011), p. 355
- Press Release (Ed2go)
- Press Release (Houghton Mifflin)
- Boston Herald: Houghton Mifflin Acquisition