Dame Cheryl Elise Kendall Gillan DBE MP (21 April 1952 – 4 April 2021) was a British politician. She was the Secretary of State for Wales from 2010 to 2012. She was a Conservative Party Member of Parliament (MP) for the Chesham and Amersham constituency in the House of Commons of the United Kingdom from 1992 to 2021. Gillan was born in Cardiff, Wales.
She was first elected in the 1992 general election and became the Shadow Secretary of State for Wales in 2005. When the Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition was formed on 11 May 2010, she became the Secretary of State for Wales. She was dismissed from this post in a cabinet reshuffle in 2012.
References[change | change source]
- Groves, Jason (16 January 2012). "Minister urged to resign after selling home weeks before rail link go-ahead". Daily Mail Australia. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "Cheryl Gillan is appointed Secretary of State for Wales". GOV.UK. Retrieved 2019-05-29.
- "Sacked minister: I am only 60". BBC News. Retrieved 2019-05-29.
- PM leads tributes to Dame Cheryl Gillan following her death
- "Dame Cheryl Gillan, Welsh Secretary under David Cameron and staunch opponent of HS2 – obituary". The Telegraph. 5 April 2021. Retrieved 5 April 2021.
- Rawlinson, Kevin (5 April 2021). "Conservative MP Cheryl Gillan dies after long illness". The Guardian. Retrieved 5 April 2021.