Voluntary childlessness is when people choose to not have children. People do this for several reasons, which include:
- Celibacy (not having sexual intercourse)
- Not wanting to have a child (see Childfree)
- Not having enough money to take care of a child
- Being too old to have a child
Voluntary childlessness is sometimes called childfree.
There are also several reason for involuntary childlessness, including:
- Infertility, which means they are unable to biologically have children.
- the death of an infant or child either before, during, or shortly after birth.
Options for involuntary childlessness[change | change source]
Sometimes a couple can have a child through artificial insemination, when a sperm is place in a woman's uterus immediately after ovulation. Another option is in vitro fertilization (or IVF). In this process, a sperm and an egg are placed together until fertilization happens, then the egg is put into the uterus.
References[change | change source]
- "Having it All without Having Children". TIME Magazine. Retrieved Jan 18, 2014.