China Eastern Airlines Flight 5735
|Date||21 March 2022|
|Summary||Crashed into terrain during cruise, under investigation|
|Site||Shentangbiao, Molang village, Teng County, Wuzhou, Guangxi, China |
|Aircraft type||Boeing 737-89P|
|Operator||China Eastern Yunnan Airlines|
|IATA flight No.||MU5735|
|ICAO flight No.||CES5735|
|Call sign||CHINA EASTERN 5735|
|Flight origin||Kunming Changshui International Airport|
|Destination||Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport|
The flight left Kunming Changshui International Airport, Kunming at 13:15 local time (05:15 UTC). It was going to Baiyun International Airport in Guangzhou. At 14:22, the plane began to show signs of crashing. The wreckage of the plane was found near Teng County, Guangxi. The aircraft was carrying 132 people, including 123 passengers and 9 crew members.
Crash[change | change source]
According to the Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC), contact with the aircraft was lost over the city of Wuzhou, Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region. At 2:20pm CST, while preparing to descend into Guangzhou, the aircraft entered a sharp descent. It fell 20,000 feet, to 7,400 feet. The plane gained 1,200 feet before crashing into a hillside.
The accident was caught by security camera, shown in a near vertical dive without a vertical stabilizer, and with a white trail behind it as it descended, before disappearing out of view. A piece of the aircraft was found miles away from the final crash site of the aircraft, hinting to a midair breakup.
The plane left a 65-foot deep hole in a surrounding forest.
References[change | change source]
- "广西消防：发现客机残骸碎片，尚未发现遇难者遗体" [Guangxi Fire Department: Fragments of passenger plane wreckage were found, but the remains of the victims have not yet been found]. j.eastday.com (in Chinese). Archived from the original on 21 March 2022. Retrieved 2022-03-21.
- "MU5735搭载133人广西藤县发生事故，昆明长水机场不知情：2点57分已到达" [MU5735 carrying 133 people had an accident in Teng County, Guangxi, Kunming Changshui Airport was unaware: arrived at 2:57]. time-weekly.com (in Chinese). 21 March 2022. Archived from the original on 21 March 2022.
- "东航一架波音737飞机坠毁民航局已启动应急机制" [A Boeing 737 of China Eastern Airlines crashed, the Civil Aviation Administration has activated the emergency mechanism]. Civil Aviation Administration of China (in Chinese). Archived from the original on 2022-03-21. Retrieved 2022-03-21.
- "China Eastern Airlines jet with 133 on board crashes in Guangxi". The Week magazine. March 21, 2022. Retrieved 21 March 2022.
- "Accident description". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 21 March 2022.
- "架搭载133人的客机在广西藤县发生事故，伤亡情况未明" [A passenger plane carrying 133 people was involved in an accident in Teng County, Guangxi, the casualties are unknown] (in Chinese). CCTV News. Archived from the original on 21 March 2022. Retrieved 21 March 2022.
- News, A. B. C. "No abnormalities found in China plane crash: Investigators". ABC News. Retrieved 2022-05-11.
- "U.S. experts analyzing black boxes from China Eastern Boeing 737 that nose-dived into mountainside killing 132". www.cbsnews.com. Retrieved 2022-05-11.
- News, A. B. C. "Black box analyzed for pilots' actions in China Eastern Airlines crash". ABC News. Retrieved 2022-05-11.
- "Why the China Eastern Crash Is Such a Shock to the Country". Time. Retrieved 2022-05-11.
- Bradsher, Keith (2022-04-04). "A Flight Over China in Clear Skies, Followed by a Nosedive". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2022-05-11.