|Regions with significant populations|
|New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, Boston, Washington D.C., Chicago, Philadelphia, Seattle|
|Predominantly English, varieties of Chinese:
Mandarin Chinese (Standard Chinese), Yue Chinese (Cantonese, Taishanese), Min Chinese (Min Dong, Min Nan), Hakka, Wu Chinese (Taihu Wu, Oujiang Wu), and Minority Uyghur.
|Unaffiliated, Protestantism, Buddhism, Catholicism|
|Related ethnic groups|
|Hong Kong Americans, Taiwanese Americans
|Alternative Chinese name|
|This article contains Chinese text. Without the correct software, you may see question marks, boxes, or other symbols instead of Chinese characters.|
Chinese American describes citizens of the United States who have come from China, or whose family came from China. They are the largest group of Asian Americans. Famous Chinese Americans include Yo Yo Ma, Bruce Lee and George Li. As of 2010 there are nearly 4 million Chinese Americans, just over 1% of the total population of the U.S.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Stanford page
- Factfinder Chinese Americans 2005 American Community Survey
- The Rocky Road to Liberty: A Documented History of Chinese American Immigration and Exclusion
- Famous Chinese Americans Comprehensive list of famous Chinese Americans organized by professions. Includes short biographical notes and Chinese names.
References[change | change source]
- "Race Reporting for the Asian Population by Selected Categories: 2010". U.S. Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_SF1_QTP8&prodType=table. Retrieved 17 January 2012.
- "Ethnologue report for language code: cdo". Ethnologue.com. http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=cdo. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- "Ethnologue report for language code: wuu". Ethnologue.com. http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=wuu. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- "Asian Americans: A Mosaic of Faiths". The Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life. Pew Research Center. 19 July 2012. http://www.pewforum.org/Asian-Americans-A-Mosaic-of-Faiths-overview.aspx. Retrieved 15 February 2013. "Unaffiliated 52%, Protestant 22%, Buddhist 15%, Catholic 8%"
- Pew Forum - Chinese Americans' Religions.