Houses at Ressel Square
|• Mayor||František Pilný|
|• Total||33.20 km2 (12.82 sq mi)|
|Elevation||240 m (790 ft)|
|• Density||700/km2 (1,800/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Chrudim is a district town in the Pardubice region of the Czech Republic.
Geography[change | change source]
Chrudim lies in the center of Eastern Bohemia is located 11 km south from Pardubice and 110 km east from Prague. Nearby, 3 km distant, is Slatiňany known for its horse breeding.
History[change | change source]
Archeological research shows the first people lived in the area in the later stone age (500-3500 BC). Slavs came in the 7th century AD. The first written record about Chrudim comes from 1055 AD and makes it officially one of the oldest settlements in eastern Bohemia. In the 13th century Chrudim was established and fortified as a town by the king Přemysl Otakar II.
Main sights[change | change source]
- Church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary is the dominant building on the main Josef Ressel Square. Its building was started maybe in the 13th century.
- Old Town Hall was built in the 15th century. It is one of the oldest buildings in the city and is on the northern side of the main square.
- Mydlář House in Břetislavova street was built in the 16th century. It now contains the Puppet Museum.
- Prague Column of Christ’s Transfiguration from 1732 is in the center of the main Jossef Ressel Square.
Famous people[change | change source]
- Viktorin Kornel ze Všehrd (cca 1460 - 1520), humanist, writer, lawyer, Dean of Charles University at Prague.
- Jan Mydlář (1572 - 1664), famous executioner.
- Jan Nepomuk Štěpánek (1783 – 1844), actor, theatre director of ancestor nowadays National Theatre in Prague.
- Josef Ressel (1793 - 1857), inventor of the ship propeller. A school and Josef Ressel Square in Chrudim are named after him. His statue is in front of the District Museum.
- Petr Průcha (1982 - ), hockey player for New York Rangers, SKA Saint Petersburg.
- Dušan Salfický (1972 - ), hockey goaltender.
Culture[change | change source]
Chrudim has one of the biggest urban conservation areas, over 52 hectares. It contains the historical center of the city. Chrudim is known for its culture, with many famous actors, musicians and other people. You can find several important museums there. Museum of Puppets in the Mydlář House has one of the biggest collections of puppets in the world. In Chrudim Regional Museum is Kabinet ex libris, where you can admire a huge collection of books. The recently rebuilt museum of baroque statues has nearby gardens. Main organized actions:
- Athens of East Bohemia is a festival of classical music in late April.
- Puppet festival in Chrudim is a festival of puppet acting at the beginning of summer.
- Salavators pilgrimage are attractions held in august.
Sport[change | change source]
- FK Era-Pack Chrudim is a famous seven times champion in futsal.
- HC Chrudim, former 1st league hockey club.
- MFK Chrudim, former 2nd league football club.
Twin cities[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Population of municipalities of the Czech republic". Czech Statistical Office. Retrieved 2019-04-30.