Clarissa is a female given name. It comes from the German name Clarice. Clarice, in turn, comes from the Latin word Clarus, which means "bright, clear or famous". Clarissa also has a Greek origin, meaning "brilliant".
People with the name include Clara Barton, who was born Clarissa Harlowe Barton. A fictional teenage character named Clarissa was played by Melissa Joan Hart in Clarissa Explains It All during the early to mid 1990s.
People[change | change source]
- Clarissa Davis (b. 1967), American coach and Women's Basketball hall-of-famer
- Clarissa Dickson Wright (1947-2014), English celebrity chef
- Clarissa Eden, Countess of Avon (b. 1920)
- Clarissa Pinkola Estés (b. 1945), American poet
Places[change | change source]
- Clarissa, Minnesota, a small city in the United States
Science[change | change source]
- 302 Clarissa, an asteroid