|Predecessor||The Intellectual Property and Science business of Thomson Reuters|
|Headquarters||Philadelphia, United States |
London, United Kingdom
Clarivate Analytics is an independent US company founded in 2016 that manages databases, information systems, and intellectual property collections funded by a subscription to its services. The company is focused on scientific and academic research, patent analysis and legal regulation, pharmaceutical and biotechnological research, patents, and regulatory compliance; trademark protection, and domain and brand protection.
From 1992 until 2016, the company's intellectual property belonged to Thomson Reuters, because it was a branch of IP & Science. On October 3, 2016, it jumped into an independent company.
The purpose of the company to select, analyze and provide high-quality information for scientists, teachers, publishers, librarians, doctors, patent staff, market stomach, managers, etc.
Clarivate is quickly developing due to numerous acquisitions: 5 years since the foundation of Clarivate bought more than 10 of information services companies. In some cases, Clarivate bought, despite increased antimonopoly worsens, companies that were direct competitors to each other. Perhaps the most notable example of this was the purchase of ProQuest for $5.3 billion in December 2021, which was a Competitor Web of Science, Clarivate owned since 2017.
Clarivate reported its gross profit margin as 64% (in 2019)  and its EBIDTA profit margin as 45% (in 2021), which places it in the range of entertainment software and tobacco industries, and ahead of pharmaceutical, oil/gas and cell phone industries.
Products and services[change | change source]
- Web of Science platform;
- Web of Science Core Collection — the main collection of WOS, the first science-based database, comes from Science Citation Index, the index by the launched by Eugene Garfield in the 50s of the 20th century, which was produced by the Institute of Scientific Information (ISI);
- Journal Citation Reports — analytical add-in for analyzing editions on the Web of Science Core Collection from Natural and Technical (SSIE) and SSCI (SSCI) for which the Impact Factor is calculated;
- Essential Science Indicators;
- referance manage EndNote;
- author's ID ResearcherID;
- analitic platform InCites;
- ScholarOne (the system of management of the publication process);
- Thomson Innovation;
- Derwent World Patents Index;
References[change | change source]
- ""Clarivate Analytics: New Name, Established Products" by Ojala, Marydee - Online Searcher, Vol. 41, Issue 3, May-June 2017". Archived from the original on 2019-09-01.
- Clarivate Analytics. "Acquisition of the Thomson Reuters Intellectual Property and Science Business by Onex and Baring Asia Completed". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2020-03-08.
- ""Mergers, acquisitions, and my tinfoil hat" Librarian Shipwreck".
- ""Clarivate Income Statement"".
- ""Clarivate to Acquire ProQuest"".
- ""Margins by Sector (US)"". Archived from the original on 2022-01-27. Retrieved 2022-01-25.