Colonization Commemoration Day (Nepal)
An editor has asked for deletion of this article.
|Colonization Commemoration Day (Nepal)|
|Also called||उपनिवेश स्मरण दिवस|
|Observed by||Indigenous Nepalese|
|Date||Paush 27 (Bikram Sambat)|
Colonization Commemoration Day, also observed as Black Day by indigenous Nepalese in Nepal falls on Paush 27 (Bikram Sambat) every year. It falls on 11 Jan the year of 2019. It is the birth day of Gorkhali king Prithvi Narayan Shah who conquered the indigenous nations. It began as a counter-celebration held on the same day as the Nepal's federal holiday of National Unity Day, which honors Gorkhali invader Prithvi Narayan Shah. Indigenous nationalities reject celebrating him, saying that he represents the violent history of the colonization in Nepal. Prithvi Narayan Shah invaded and occupied Nepal, Limbuwan, Mithila, and many other kingdoms and principalities and colonized those territories. He suppressed the native people under this rule. Prithvi Narayan Shah is also known as Pirpire Narancha in the Newa tongue.
Reclamation Indigenous narrative in history[change | change source]
The day is marked with reclamation of indigenous narrative in the history. Social media is run with hashtags #NotTheUnifist #HistoryFromNativeLens. The indigenous Newa people reclaim that Nepal is a stolen name. The term 'Nepal' refered to the territories of Newa people, where the Gorkhalis occupied, shifted their new capital and renamed their empire as 'Nepal'.
Public gathering[change | change source]
Although under-reported and ignored by the mainstream media, indigenous nationalities gather in public spaces to openly oppose the celebration of colonial figure as National Unity Day. Rallies are made mostly from Asan, Kathmandu.
Spitting in Chhyakha Lohan[change | change source]
Chhyakha Lohan (Nepal Bhasa: छ्याखः लोहं) is a rock located in Kirtipur, a Newar town. Commemorating the torture, genocide, slaughter, rape and cutting of nose of citizens, people spit on the rock. The rock is symbolism of Prithvi Narayan Shah because he slipped down the rock during his first invasion in Nepal.
References[change | change source]
- Prithvi Nārāyaṇ Shah | Gurkha king of Nepal | Britannica.com
- Prithvi Narayan Shah's cultural imperialism The marginalized Janajatis and Madhesis believe that Shah's so-called unification was in fact a process of internal colonization. In his Divya Upadesh, he described Nepal as 'a garden of four castes and 36 sub-castes'. But he also said Nepal is 'a pure Hindustan' (the land of Hindus).
- Hidden history of Prithvi Narayan Shah
- Newa Colonized : History of Newa Colonialism
- Colonialism and Indigenous Nepalese Narratives
- History of PN Shah Teach full history on PN Shah : Rukshana Newa
- Prithvi Narayan Shah's military campaign: unification or colonization?
- किराँतीहरूलाई जिउँदै बोरामा बाँधेर अरुण नदीमा फाल्थे पृथ्वी नारायण शाह
- Cult of a king
- Nepal is a stolen word : Rukshana Kapali
- PRITHVI NARAYAN SHAH AND THE CONQUEST OF THE VALLEY OF NEPAL
- Rukuchee Blog
- Asiatick Society (Calcutta, India) (1799). Asiatic Researches: Or, Transactions of the Society Instituted in Bengal, for Inquiring Into the History and Antiquities, the Arts, Sciences, and Literature, of Asia. Reprinted for Vernor and Hood. p. 307.
- (PDF) https://web.archive.org/web/20120322214352/http://www.kpmalla.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Nepala.pdf. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-03-22. Missing or empty
- A comparative and etymological dictionary of the Nepali language
- Essays on the languages, literature, and religion of Nepál and Tibet: : Hodgson, B. H. (Brian Houghton), 1800-1894 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
- एनआरएन–अमेरिकाको पृथ्वी जयन्ती मनाउने निर्णयको चौतर्फि विरोध
- Resistance Day
- पृथ्वी जयन्तीलाई ‘राष्ट्रिय एकता दिवस’ मान्नु जनताप्रति धोका हो
- पृथ्वी जयन्तीको विरोध किन?
- ‘पृथ्वी जयन्ती’या विरुद्ध असनय् मुनीगु'
- Press release of Nepal Federation of Indigenous Nationalities against celebrating Prithvi Jayanti
- आंकाजी शेर्पाले पृथ्वी जयन्ती दिवसलाइ यसकारणले विरोध गरे
- पृथ्वी जयन्ती: कतै समर्थन, त कतै विरोध
- पृथ्वीनारायण शाहयात थुकलं बिइगु ‘छ्याकः ल्वहँ’ थ्वहे खः
- कीर्तिपुरमा रहेको यो अनौठो ढुङ्गा
- छ्याकः ल्वहँतय् थुकलं बिल
- 11 Jan Colonization commemoration day to be observed in Nepal
- पुष २७ गते उपनिवेश स्मरण दिवस मनाइने