Convenience food is a type of food. This kind of food has been made so it can save the consumers time to prepare it. Usually such foods just need to be heated. They are designed for a long shelf life, so that they can stay in the store for a long time. One thing to remember is that you may have to pay for the convenience, as this food is often expensive.
Many people criticise these products, because:
- They are made from products that would probably not be eaten in their raw form.
- They are high in fat, and have a high caloric value
- They are low in nutrients, but fast to prepare. Therefore they are also blamed for obesity.
- Their ingredients may come from genetically-modified organisms
- Preservatives are almost always used.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Social Change and Foodways
- American Women and the Making of Modern Consumer Culture
- Convenience Foods: Factors Affecting Their Use Where Household Diets are Poor
- British Frozen Foods Federation: The Last 50 Years
- US Food Facts & History