|Born||Bangalore, Karnataka, India|
|Alma mater||Indian Institute of Management Calcutta, IIT Madras|
|Employer||Aditya Birla Group|
D. Shivakumar, or Shiv as he is popularly known as a Bangalore born leader and a management thinker.
Early Life and Education[change | change source]
Shiv was born and raised in Bangalore, India.
He graduated from IIT, Madras in 1982 and from IIM, Calcutta in 1984. In 2005, he went on to study at The Wharton School. 
Career[change | change source]
Shiv started his career as a management trainee in the Consumer Products Division at Hindustan Ciba Geigy before shifting toHindustan Unilever Limited where he spent 19 years in sales, marketing and general management positions. He moved to Philips, India as Chief Executive Officer of the consumer electronics division in 2003.
Shiv joined Nokia in 2006 as the Managing Director, India. Under his management, Nokia built its entire services portfolio, including Nokia Life Tools. He was also instrumental in pushing low-cost mobile devices across rural India; making Nokia a dominant brand in India. He is credited for driving Nokia’s brand from No. 71 to No. 1 in the country . He was instrumental in making Nokia one of the top most trusted brands. Shiv moved as Sr. Vice President, Emerging Markets (India, Middle East, Africa) in 2011. This market accounts for 40% of Nokia’s global business and comprises of around 90 countries. His contribution during this time have become case studies at Harvard University, ISB and other Ivy League Institutes. 
In 2013, Shivakumar was appointed as the Chairperson & CEO of PepsiCo Holdings Private Limited, India where he managed brand portfolios across beverages, snacks and nutrition.  He has been the driving force in bringing PepsiCo’s nutrition portfolio to the forefront with new launches under the Quaker and Tropicana brands.  He is known for being the key driver for portfolio transformation and depended consumer engagement with flagship brands.  Apart from overseeing India operations, he also managed PepsiCo’s franchise business across Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka and the Maldives.
As of January 2018, Shivakumar has joined Aditya Birla Group as the Group Executive President, Corporate Strategy. Aditya Birla Group is one of the largest Indian conglomerates with businesses spread across telecommunications, cement, chemicals, mining, textiles, financial services, retail and e-commerce, among others, in 36 countries. 
Personal Life[change | change source]
Shiv resides in Mumbai, and is married to Hamsini Shivakumar, a semiotics’ entrepreneur and founder of Leapfrog Strategy Consulting. 
Notable Associations[change | change source]
- The Advertising Standards Council Of India (ASCI), 2017, Vice Chairman 
- Mobile Marketing Association, India, 2015 
- Godrej Consumer Product, 2009 – 2017, Independent Director 
- Indian Institute of Management – Ahmedabad, 2012 – 2017, Board of Governors 
- All India Management Association, 2012-2013, President 
Awards & Recognition[change | change source]
- Distinguished Alumnus, IIT Madras, 2016 Indian Institute of Technology, Madras  
- Most Distinguished Alumnus Award, 2011 Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta 
- One of the top five Indian marketers by the Economic Times
- The Chief Marketing Officers` Council named him the Brand Builder of the Year in 2008 and the following year selected him as the CEO of the year 
- He was awarded Foods Innovation award for novel teas in 1988
- The Unilever Innovation award for Sunsilk shampoo across Asia in 1999
- The Asia Pacific Philips leadership award for turning the Philips consumer Electronics business profitable and competitive
- The Hindu Business Line marked him as one of the future leaders in 2000
References[change | change source]
- "PepsiCo India CEO D Shivakumar resigns, to join Aditya Birla Group". Livemint.
- "LinkedIn". Shivakumar.
- "D. SHIVAKUMAR, Alumni IIMC". IIM.
- "How Did Nokia Succeed in the Indian Mobile Market, While Its Rivals Got Hung Up?". Wharton.
- "D Shivakumar: Advertising cannot sell a bad product". Livemint.
- "PepsiCo names former Nokia MD D Shivakumar as its CEO, India region". ET.
- "PepsiCo India & Sachin Tendulkar Team Up For A Masterstroke". everythingonaplate.
- "Shivakumar led the nutrition business charge at Pepsi". HT.
- "Pepsico India's D Shivakumar to join Aditya Birla Group soon". Afaqs.
- "Hamsini Shivkumar". Linkedin.
- "BOARD MEMBERS". ASCI.
- "Mobile Marketing Association's India Local Council". MMA.
- "Godrej Consumer director D Shivakumar resigns". Moneycontrol.
- "IIMA LAUNCHES HUNT FOR DIRECTOR". Ahmedabadmirror.
- "PAST PRESIDENT AIMA". AIMA.
- "D Shivakumar, Distinguished Alumnus, IIT Madras - From Global To Local". IIT Madras.
- "The Distinguished Alumnus Awards". Alumni IIT Madras.
- "D Shivakumar, Distinguished Alumnus". IIM Calcutta.
- "PepsiCo India Chief D Shivakumar Resigns, Set to Join Aditya Birla Group". Techstory.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to D Shivakumar.|
- Shiv part of a discussion organized by Mint about Make in India initiative
- D.Shivakumar speaks about the future of mobile marketing with CNBC TV18.
- Interview with D Shivakumar about his last day as CEO of PepsiCo India
- Reference for Leadership: Workspace design and working styles
- About D Shivakumar's leadership