|United States Senator|
January 3, 1975 – January 3, 1999
|Preceded by||William Fulbright|
|Succeeded by||Blanche L. Lincoln|
|38th Governor of Arkansas|
January 12, 1971 – January 3, 1975
|Lieutenant||Bob C. Riley|
|Preceded by||Winthrop Rockefeller|
|Succeeded by||Bob C. Riley |
as Acting Governor
Dale Leon Bumpers
August 12, 1925
Charleston, Arkansas, U.S.
|Died||January 1, 2016 (aged 90)|
Little Rock, Arkansas, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Arkansas|
Northwestern University Law School
|Branch/service||United States Marine Corps|
|Years of service||1943-1946|
Dale Leon Bumpers (August 12, 1925 – January 1, 2016) was an American politician. He served as the 38th Governor of Arkansas from 1971 to 1975. Bumpers served in the United States Senate from 1975 until his retirement in January 1999.
After his retirement from the Senate, Bumpers, a self-declared close friend of President Clinton, acted as defense attorney during Clinton's impeachment trial. He gave an impassioned closing argument during the Senate trial.
References[change | change source]
- "Bumpers, Dale (1925– )". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. Retrieved 2007-04-22.
- "Former United States Senator and Governor of Arkansas Dale Bumpers Dies at 90". Arkansas Matters.com. Archived from the original on February 7, 2016. Retrieved January 2, 2016.
- "Former Sen. Dale Bumpers dies at 90". Arkansas Times.com. Retrieved January 2, 2016.
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Dale Bumpers at Wikimedia Commons
- Clinton, Bill (2005). My Life. Vintage. ISBN 1-4000-3003-X.
- Complete text and audio and video of Dale Bumpers' Closing Defense Arguments at the Impeachment Trial of William Jefferson Clinton
- United States Congress. "Dale Bumpers (id: B001057)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. Retrieved April 22, 2007.
- Defense Who's Who", Washington Post, January 19, 1999 
- Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture entry: Dale Leon Bumpers
- Transcript: Former Senator Dale Bumpers – Senate Floor January 21, 1999