Daniel James Howell
11 June 1991
|The Super Amazing Project, The amazing book/tour is not on fire, Dan & Phil go outside, Interactive Introverts Tour|
|Home town||Wokingham, Berkshire, England, United Kingdom|
|Partner(s)||Phil Lester (2009-present)|
|Signature phrase||"Hello internet!" “Hi, my name’s [Dan]”|
Daniel James "Dan" Howell (born 11 June 1991) is an English vlogger. He is best known for his YouTube channel Daniel Howell, previously known as danisnotonfire. His YouTube channel reached 6 million subscribers on 10 August, 2016. That isn't his only channel however, he has his side channel, danisnotinteresting and co-stars with Phil Lester (AmazingPhil) in DanAndPhilGAMES (their gaming channel) and DanAndPhilCRAFTS (which was an April fools joke) Dan presented Dan and Phil on BBC Radio 1 with fellow Youtuber Phil Lester (a.k.a. AmazingPhil his best friend and flat mate). Dan has also been on a world tour with Phil Lester and written two books, as well as created a merchandise store.
Personal life[change | change source]
Howell was born and grew up in Wokingham, Berkshire where he chose to study Law. Before starting his YouTube channel, he worked in the shops Focus DIY (where he sold an axe and memes to a 12 year old) and Asda (where he got fired). He went to school at The Forest School. Once he finished school, Howell went to the University of Manchester. He left university early to spend more time making videos for YouTube. He currently lives in London with his roommate and best friend, Phil Lester. He has a younger brother named Adrian who is 18.
Career[change | change source]
YouTube[change | change source]
Howell started making YouTube videos because he had been watching other youtubers for a long time. He was also encouraged by some friends to upload videos. Phil Lester was one of his friends who encouraged him.
In 2010 and 2011, Howell took part in "Stickaid". This is a live broadcast which happens every year. It is 24 hours long and encourages viewers to donate to the charity UNICEF.
In 2012, Howell won "SuperNote". This is a competition on YouTube run by Rhett and Link. Howell was also in the video series Becoming YouTube created by Benjamin Cook. Becoming YouTube is about becoming an internet celebrity. Howell also writes a blog for The Huffington Post. In this, he writes about making his YouTube videos.
Howell and Lester made a YouTube series together called The Super Amazing Project. The series is made for My Damn Channel. In this series, they explore paranormal events. In May 2014, The Super Amazing Project had over 530,000 subscribers. In December 2012, the YouTube show finished its third series of 12 episodes. Episodes of The Super Amazing Project are not made every week anymore. 'Seasonal specials' are still made. The 'Internet News' part of their radio show uses some ideas from these videos. Unfortunately, Dan and Phil do not upload any more videos due to their busy schedules.
BBC Radio 1[change | change source]
In January 2013, Howell and Lester became the presenters of BBC Radio 1's Sunday evening entertainment show. They had worked with BBC Radio 1 before. Their work included producing videos for the station's YouTube channel and two Christmas broadcasts. Dan and Phil is an interactive two-hour show, which includes:
- Music videos made by listeners
- Challenges performed on live by the presenters
- Song requests
Awards and nominations[change | change source]
In 2013, Howell and Lester were voted the UK’s favourite radio presenters and won the Sony Golden Headphones Award, presented by the Sony Radio Academy Awards. The won this for their radio show, Dan and Phil.
In 2013, Howell came second in Sugarscape's Hottest Lads of 2013, a competition he had won a year before. He came second to his friend, Phil Lester.
In 2014, Howell came fifth Sugarscape's Hottest Lads of 2014.
References[change | change source]
- Howell, Daniel. "Draw My Life - Dan Howell". YouTube. YouTube. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- The Huffington Post. Retrieved 22 January 2015
- Howell, Daniel. "LLAMARMY ULTIMATE GALACTIC VICTORY". YouTube. YouTube. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Cook, Benjamin. "Anatomy of a YouTuber BECOMING YOUTUBE Video #1". YouTube. YouTube. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "Daniel Howell's Huffington Post blog". Huffingtonpost.co.uk. 2012-12-12. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- door The Super Amazing Project (2011-09-26). "The Super Amazing Project". YouTube. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "YouTube Stats". danisonfire. Youtube.com. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Lazarus, Susanna (2012-11-09). "The Radio Times". Radiotimes.com. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Ben Cooper, Controller, BBC Radio 1 and 1Xtra (1970-01-01). "BBC news article". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 26 May 2014.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Sugarscape internet magazine article". Sugarscape.com. 2011-09-15. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "Sugerscape article". Sugarscape.com. 2011-09-15. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "Sugarscape's Hottest Lads 2013". Sugarscape.