Dari (Eastern Persian)
|Region||Central Asia, West Asia|
|Native speakers||Spoken by more than 27%, and understood by over 50% of Afghanistan population. Also spoken and understood by around 2.5 million people in Pakistan and Iran with communities who speak Dari as their primary language. (1992–2000)
to 8–9 million
|Dialects||Kaboli, Mazari, Herati, Badakhshi, Panjshiri, Laghmani, Sistani, Aimaqi, Hazaragi|
|Writing system||Persian alphabet|
|Official language in||Afghanistan|
|Regulated by||Academy of Sciences of Afghanistan|
prs – Dari, Afghan Persian
aiq – Aimaq
haz – Hazaragi
|Linguasphere||58-AAC-ce (Dari) + 58-AAC-cdo & cdp (Hazaragi) + 58-AAC-ck (Aimaq)|
Dari (Fārsī-ye Darī) is a dialect of the Persian language. It is the Persian language as spoken in Afghanistan. It is the second official language of Afghanistan, and is widely used by the government and most media agencies. It is mainly spoken by the Tajiks and other minority groups. A small minority also exists in parts of Pakistan closest to these named regions The name Dari was given to this language at a very early date.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- Shaista Wahab (2006), Beginner's Dari, Page 1
- "Dari language, alphabet and pronunciation". Omniglot.com. http://www.omniglot.com/writing/dari.htm. Retrieved 2012-08-26.
- Tajiks 5-6m; Hazaras 3-3.5 m; Aymāqs 3.5-4 m
- Iranica, "Afghanistan: v.Languages", Table 11
- "Article Sixteen of the Constitution of Afghanistan". 2004. http://www.afghan-web.com/politics/current_constitution.html#preamble. Retrieved June 13, 2012. "From among the languages of Pashto, Dari, Uzbeki, Turkmani, Baluchi, Pashai, Nuristani, Pamiri (alsana), Arab and other languages spoken in the country, Pashto and Dari are the official languages of the state."
- Ch. M. Kieffer, "AFGHANISTAN v. Languages", in Encyclopædia Iranica, Online Edition 2010, ().
- G. Lazard, "DARĪ", in Encyclopædia Iranica, Online Edition 2010, ().
- Frye, R.N., "Darī", The Encylcopaedia of Islam, Brill Publications, CD version