Dead Kennedys, 2014
|Also known as||The Sharks
|Origin||San Francisco, California, USA|
|Genres||Hardcore punk, punk rock|
|Years active||1978–1986, 2001-present|
|Labels||Cherry Red, Faulty Products, Alternative Tentacles, Manifesto/Decay|
|Associated acts||Against All Will, Jello Biafra (solo career), Peligro, Skrapyard, The Jungle Studs, Jello Biafra and the Guantanamo School of Medicine, Lard, Melvins|
|East Bay Ray
D. H. Peligro
Ron "Skip" Greer
Steve "Boomstick" Wilson
The Dead Kennedys were a hardcore punk band from San Francisco. The band was led by Jello Biafra. Other original members were Klaus Fluoride, D.H. Peligro, and East Bay Ray. The band played songs with strong political messages. During the 1980s, they had many fans in the punk rock music scene.
The Dead Kennedys formed in June 1978. In 1980, one of their songs called "California Über Alles" became popular in the punk music scene. In 1980, they recorded and released a song called "Holiday in Cambodia". That same year, they made their first album, Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables. In the early 1980s, the band toured all over the United States, Europe, and Australia.
In July of 1987, the band broke up. After they broke up, they were charged with the crime of obscenity. A person saw the band's album Frankenchrist and complained to the Attorney General for the State of California and to Los Angeles prosecutors. The album included a picture that showed nine penises. In August 1987, the criminal trial ended but the jury could not make a decision. The album was banned from many record stores in the United States.
On May 18, 2007, Dead Kennedys reunion show.
On late 2007, Dead Kennedys upcoming fifth full-length album tilted Milking the Sacred Cow in stores 10.09.07 released 21 years.
Discography[change | change source]
Studio albums[change | change source]
- Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables - September 1980 (# 33)
- Plastic Surgery Disasters - November 1982
- Frankenchrist - October 1985
- Bedtime for Democracy - November 1986
- Milking the Sacred Cow - October 2007
Extended Play records[change | change source]
- In God We Trust, Inc. - December 1981
Singles[change | change source]
- California Über Alles - June 1979
- Holiday in Cambodia - May 1980
- Kill the Poor - October 1980 (# 49)
- Too Drunk to Fuck - May 1981 (# 31)
- Nazi Punks Fuck Off! - November 1981
- Bleed for Me - July 1982
- Halloween - December 1982
Videos[change | change source]
- The Early Years Live - July 1987
- The Lost Tapes - July 2003
- Live at DMPO's on Broadway - February 2004
- Farewell Tour Again with Dead Kennedys - May 2014