Death and funeral of Lech Kaczyński and Maria Kaczyńska
Lech Kaczyński, the fourth President of the Republic of Poland, died on 10 April 2010. He died in a plane crash outside of Smolensk, Russia. The plane was a Tu-154 belonging to the Polish Air Force. The crash killed all 96 on board. His wife, Maria Kaczyńska, was also among those killed.
After the death of Kaczyński was announced, Komorowski declared a week of mourning. It went from 11 to 18 April. A state funeral for Lech and Maria was held on the last day. Several countries observed a day of national mourning on the day of the funeral. Afterwards, the couple were buried together in a crypt in the Wawel Cathedral in Kraków.
President of the United States Barack Obama cancelled his plans. He made a public statement. He spoke of his sadness and blamed the volcanic ash that was disrupting air travel over Europe at the time.
References[change | change source]
- "World Leaders React to Polish President's Death". Voice of America. 10 April 2010. http://www1.voanews.com/english/news/usa/World-Leaders-React-to-Polish-Presidents-Death-90493354.html. Retrieved 10 April 2010.
- "World leaders pay tribute to Polish leader". CNN. 10 April 2010. http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/04/10/lech.kaczynski.tributes/index.html. Retrieved 10 April 2010.
- "Yudhoyono expresses condolences over Polish President's death". The Jakarta Post. 10 April 2010. http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2010/04/10/yudhoyono-expresses-condolences-over-polish-president039s-death.html. Retrieved 10 April 2010.
- "Chinese president offers condolences to Poland over plane crash". Xinhua News Agency. 10 April 2010. http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/china/2010-04/10/c_13245614.htm. Retrieved 10 April 2010.
- "Kaczynski to rest among Poland's kings, heroes". CBC News. 18 April 2010. http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/04/18/kaczynski-funeral.html. Retrieved 18 April 2010.
- "Poles turn out for state funeral". Al Jazeera. 18 April 2010. http://english.aljazeera.net/news/europe/2010/04/201041818155329127.html. Retrieved 18 April 2010.
- "Poland holds state funeral for President Lech Kaczynski". BBC News. 18 April 2010. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8627857.stm. Retrieved 18 April 2010.
- "Volcanic ash: Obama cancels trip to Kaczynski funeral". The Hindu. 18 April 2010. http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/article402390.ece. Retrieved 18 April 2010.