Death of Mollie Tibbetts
Mollie Cecilia Tibbetts
May 8, 1998
San Francisco, California, U.S.
|Disappeared||July 18, 2018|
Brooklyn, Iowa, U.S.
|Status||Found dead August 21, 2018|
|Body discovered||Poweshiek County, Iowa, U.S.|
|Education||University of Iowa|
|Occupation||Day camp worker|
|Employer||Grinnell Regional Medical Center|
On July 18, 2018, Mollie Cecilia Tibbetts, an American college student, disappeared while jogging in Brooklyn, Iowa. A body matching her description was found in a cornfield on August 21 in Poweshiek County, Iowa, which was later identified as hers.
According to police, her last confirmed communication was with her boyfriend of three years, Dalton Jack, who was out of town for work in Dubuque, Iowa, over 130 miles (210 km) away, shortly before leaving for her jog.
The Iowa State Medical Examiner conducted an autopsy on the body and recorded the cause of death as "multiple sharp force injuries" and the manner as homicide.
Mexican-born Cristhian Bahena Rivera faces first-degree murder charges. His lawful immigration status is disputed.
Vice President Mike Pence called attention to the case at the beginning of a speech in Des Moines on August 15, telling a crowd of President Donald Trump's supporters that the government would continue to provide "any and all federal support" to the case. Pence later met with the Tibbetts family aboard Air Force Two.
References[change | change source]
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Mollie Tibbetts, missing Iowa college student, found dead". CBS News. August 21, 2018. Retrieved August 21, 2018.
- ↑ Lam, Katherine (August 21, 2018). "Mollie Tibbetts, missing Iowa student, found dead, her father says". Fox News. Retrieved August 21, 2018.
- ↑ "Mollie Tibbetts has been found dead a month after she vanished, authorities say". The Washington Post. August 22, 2018. Retrieved August 22, 2018.
- ↑ "Authorities believe Mollie Tibbetts' body found: Timeline of Iowa woman's disappearance". ABC 7 Chicago. Retrieved August 21, 2018.
- ↑ Levenson, Eric. "Mollie Tibbetts autopsy finds that she died by 'multiple sharp force injuries'". CNN. Retrieved 23 August 2018.
- ↑ "Preliminary Autopsy Results Available in Poweshiek County Case". Iowa Department of Public Safety. August 23, 2018. Archived from the original on August 23, 2018. Retrieved August 23, 2018.
- ↑ Clayworth, Jason (August 22, 2018). "Mollie Tibbetts case: What we know about the undocumented immigrant charged with her murder". Des Moines Register. Retrieved August 22, 2018.
- ↑ Jason Clayworth (23 August 2018). "Lawyer: Suspect in Mollie Tibbetts' slaying worked in Iowa legally. Not true, says employer". Des Moines Register. Retrieved 23 August 2018.
A search of records by USCIS revealed Rivera did not make any DACA requests nor were any grants given. We have found no record in our systems indicating he has any lawful immigration status.
- ↑ Nozicka, Luke; Pfannenstiel, Brianne (August 15, 2018). "Mike Pence, who met with family of Mollie Tibbetts: "You're on the hearts of every American"". Des Moines Register. Retrieved August 21, 2018.