Deaths in February 2016
The following is a list of notable deaths in February 2016. For notable deaths before the current month, please see "Months". Names under each date are reported in alphabetical order by last name or pseudonym. Deaths of non-humans are reported here also if notable.
- Each listing of a death must have a source. If no reference is included, the death notice will be removed. The following are the requirements of adding a name to the list in its order: name, age, nationality, what the person is known for, cause of death (if known) and most importantly a source.
February[change | change source]
1[change | change source]
- Óscar Humberto Mejía Victores, 85, Guatemalan military officer and politician, President (1983–1986), Parkinson's disease.
- Paul Pholeros, 62, Australian architect, cancer.
2[change | change source]
- Bob Elliott, 92, American comedian (Bob and Ray) and actor (Get a Life), throat cancer.
- Luiz Felipe Lampreia, 74, Brazilian sociologist and diplomat, heart attack.
3[change | change source]
- Joe Alaskey, 63, American voice actor (Looney Tunes, Rugrats, Casper), cancer.
- Big Kap, 45, American hip hop DJ (Tunnel), heart attack.
- Mark Farren, 33, Irish football player (Derry City), cancer.
- Balram Jakhar, 92, Indian politician, Speaker of the Lok Sabha (1980–1989), complications from pneumonia.
- Alba Solís, 88, Argentine singer and actress, heart failure.
- Saulius Sondeckis, 87, Lithuanian violinist and conductor, stroke.
4[change | change source]
- Marlow Cook, 89, American politician, Senator from Kentucky (1968–1974), complications from a heart attack.
- Kristine Miller, 90, American actress (I Walk Alone, Jungle Patrol, Too Late for Tears), congestive heart failure. (death announced on this date)
- Dave Mirra, 41, American BMX rider, suicide by gunshot.
- Edgar Mitchell, 85, American astronaut (Apollo 14), sixth person to walk on the moon, complications from kidney cancer.
- Axl Rotten, 44, American professional wrestler (Extreme Championship Wrestling), cardiac arrest. (body found on this date)
- Edgar Whitcomb, 98, American politician, Governor of Indiana (1969–1973), heart failure.
- Maurice White, 74, American singer-songwriter ("September") and musician (Earth, Wind & Fire), complications from Parkinson's disease.
5[change | change source]
- Bill Birchfield, 80, American politician, member of Florida House of Representatives for the 21st district (1971-1974), heart attack.
- Ciriaco Cañete, 96, Filipino martial artist, prostate cancer.
- Bodil Malmsten, 71, Swedish poet and novelist, cancer.
6[change | change source]
- Robin Chandler Duke, 92, American social advocate and diplomat, Ambassador to Norway (2000–2001), respiratory failure.
- Dan Hicks, 74, American singer-songwriter and musician (Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks), throat and liver cancer.
- Eddy Wally, 83, Belgian singer, cerebral hemorrhage.
7[change | change source]
- Roger Willemsen, 60, German writer, essayist and TV presenter, pancreatic cancer.
8[change | change source]
- Amelia Bence, 101, Argentine actress (The Gaucho War, A Sangre Fría, Alfonsina), congestive heart failure.
- Charles C. Campbell, 68, American army general, heart attack.
- Johnny Duncan, 92, American actor (Batman and Robin, Bedtime for Bonzo, Plan 9 from Outer Space), complications from dementia.
- Nida Fazli, 78, Indian poet, respiratory failure.
- August P. Mardesich, 95, American politician, member of the Washington House of Representatives (1950–1963) and Senate (1963–1978), dementia.
- Viggo Rivad, 93, Danish photographer, complications from a stroke.
- Violette Verdy, 82, French ballerina, heart failure.
9[change | change source]
- André van den Heuvel, 88, Dutch actor (Hamelen, De rode zwaan), two-time winner of the Louis d'Or, complications from a stroke.
- Sushil Koirala, 76, Nepalese politician, Prime Minister (2014–2015), President of Nepali Congress (since 2010), pneumonia.
10[change | change source]
- Leo Ehlen, 62, Dutch footballer (Roda JC), kidney disease.
- Phil Gartside, 63, English businessman and football chairman (Bolton Wanderers), cancer.
- Andrew L. Lewis, Jr., 84, American business executive and politician, Secretary of Transportation (1981–1983), complications of pneumonia.
- Eliseo Prado, 86, Argentine footballer (national team, Club Atlético River Plate), complications from Alzheimer's disease.
- Günter Schröter, 88, German football player (Dynamo Dresden, East Germany national football team, SC Dynamo Berlin) and coach (Berliner FC Dynamo), complications from Parkinson's disease.
11[change | change source]
- Kevin Randleman, 44, American mixed martial artist, UFC Heavyweight Champion (1999–2000), pneumonia and heart failure.
12[change | change source]
- Eddie Barry, 96, American ice hockey player (Boston Bruins), complications from Alzheimer's disease.
- Dominique D'Onofrio, 62, Belgian football coach (Standard de Liège), heart attack.
- Robert Frederick Froehlke, 93, American lawyer, Secretary of the Army (1971–1973), complications from a stroke.
- Johnny Lattner, 83, American football player (Notre Dame, Pittsburgh Steelers), lung cancer.
13[change | change source]
- Trifon Ivanov, 50, Bulgarian footballer (national team), heart attack.
- O. N. V. Kurup, 84, Indian poet, lyricist and politician, recipient of the Jnanpith Award (2007), respiratory failure.
- Slobodan Santrač, 69, Serbian football player (Yugoslavia) and manager, heart attack.
- Antonin Scalia, 79, American judge, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court (since 1986), heart attack.
- Bořek Šípek, 66, Czech architect and designer, cancer.
- Sir Christopher Zeeman, 91, British mathematician, respiratory failure.
14[change | change source]
- Ali Brownlee, 56, English radio sports broadcaster (Middlesbrough F.C. on BBC Tees), bowel cancer.
- Muriel Casals i Couturier, 70, Spanish economist, complications from injuries sustained in a bike accident.
- Hein Kröher, 88, German folk singer-songwriter.
- Eric Lubbock, 4th Baron Avebury, 87, British politician, MP for Orpington (1962–1970), acute myeloid leukemia.
- Wiesław Rudkowski, 69, Polish boxer and Olympic silver medalist (1972), heart attack.
15[change | change source]
- George Gaynes, 98, American actor (Police Academy, Punky Brewster, Tootsie).
- Salman Natour, 67, Israeli-born Palestinian author, heart attack.
- Hans Posthumus, 68, Dutch footballer (Feyenoord, N.E.C.), cerebral hemorrhage.
- Fighton Simukonda, 58, Zambian football player (Nkana Red Devils) and manager (national team), complications from diabetes.
16[change | change source]
- Boutros Boutros-Ghali, 93, Egyptian politician and diplomat, Secretary-General of the United Nations (1992–1996), complications from a broken pelvis.
- Belinda Nash, 69, American historian, cancer.
- Charles Caldwell Ryrie, 90, American theologian, pneumonia.
- Robert J. Walker, 87, American sailor, Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (1975–1979), complications from pneumonia.
17[change | change source]
- Alexander Gutman, 71, Russian movie director (Journey Back to Youth), heart failure.
- Mohamed Hassanein Heikal, 92, Egyptian journalist, renal failure.
- Claude Jeancolas, 66, French writer, cancer.
- Akbar Kakkattil, 62, Indian writer, lung cancer.
- Andrzej Żuławski, 75, Polish movie director (The Devil, That Most Important Thing: Love, On the Silver Globe) and writer, pancreatic cancer.
18[change | change source]
- Abdul Rashid Khan, 107, Indian Hindustani musician, multiple organ failure.
- Pantelis Pantelidis, 32, Greek singer-songwriter, traffic collision.
- John Reinhardt, 95, American diplomat, United States Ambassador to Nigeria (1971—1975), stroke.
19[change | change source]
- Tamerlan Aguzarov, 52, Russian politician, Head of North Ossetia-Alania (since 2015), complications from pneumonia.
- Umberto Eco, 84, Italian philosopher and novelist (The Name of the Rose, Foucault's Pendulum), pancreatic cancer.
- Harper Lee, 89, American writer (To Kill a Mockingbird, Go Set a Watchman).
- Sir William O'Brien, 99, British admiral, Naval Secretary (1964–1966), complications from pneumonia.
- Vi Subversa, 80, British musician (Poison Girls), cancer.
- Samuel Willenberg, 93, Israeli sculptor and painter, last surviving member of the Treblinka extermination camp revolt, complications from a stroke.
- Bruno Zuppiger, 63, Swiss politician, cancer.
20[change | change source]
- Fernando Cardenal, 82, Nicaraguan priest and politician, Minister of Education (1984–1990), heart failure.
- Ove Verner Hansen, 83, Danish actor and opera singer, heart attack.
- Nando Yosu, 76, Spanish football player and manager (Racing de Santander), Alzheimer's disease.
21[change | change source]
- María Luisa Alcalá, 72, Mexican actress (El Chavo del Ocho, Dr. Cándido Pérez, Esmeralda), heart attack.
- Eric Brown, 97, Scottish World War II-test pilot, world record for most aircraft carrier landings performed, pneumonia.
22[change | change source]
- Wesley A. Clark, 88, American computer engineer, created the first minicomputer, complications from heart disease.
- Cristiana Corsi, 39, Italian taekwondo martial artist, European champion (2002), cardiac arrest.
- Yolande Fox, 87, American beauty queen (Miss America 1951), singer and activist, lung cancer.
- Sonny James, 86, American country singer-songwriter ("Young Love").
- Cara McCollum, 24, American journalist and beauty queen, Miss New Jersey (2013), traffic collision.
- Hans Reffert, 69, German musician, composer and artist, cancer.
- Douglas Slocombe, 103, British cinematographer (Indiana Jones, The Lion in Winter, Jesus Christ Superstar), complications from a fall.
- Yochanan Sofer, 93, Israeli rabbi, Rebbe of Erlau, pneumonia.
23[change | change source]
- Ramón Castro Ruz, 91, Cuban revolutionary figure and politician, brother of Fidel and Raúl Castro. (Death announced on this date)
- Peter Lustig, 78, German television presenter (Löwenzahn) and author, stomach cancer.
- Francisco Rubio Llorente, 85, Spanish judge, President of the Council of State (2004-2012), heart failure.
- Donald E. Williams, 74, American astronaut, led mission to Jupiter probe, complications from a stroke.
24[change | change source]
- Ryszard Bender, 84, Polish politician and historian, Senator (2007-2011), stroke.
- Adriana Benetti, 96, Italian actress (Four Steps in the Clouds, Teresa Venerdì, Before the Postman), complications from pneumonia.
- Rafael Iriondo, 97, Spanish international football player (national team, Athletic Bilbao, Real Sociedad) and manager, respiratory failure.
- Peter Kenilorea, 72, Solomon Islands politician, Prime Minister (1978–1981, 1984–1986).
- Peter van der Merwe, 74, Dutch footballer (national team), mesothelioma.
25[change | change source]
- Tony Burton, 78, American actor (Rocky, Assault on Precinct 13, The Shining), comedian and boxer, complications from pneumonia.
- Jim Clark, 84, British movie editor (The World Is Not Enough, The Killing Fields, Marathon Man), Oscar winner (1985).
- François Dupeyron, 65, French movie director and screenwriter (The Officers' Ward), heart attack.
- Alfred E. Mann, 90, American entrepreneur (Spectrolab, Heliotek), heart attack.
26[change | change source]
- Andy Bathgate, 83, Canadian ice hockey player (New York Rangers, Toronto Maple Leafs, Detroit Red Wings), complications from Alzheimer's disease.
- Karl Dedecius, 94, Polish-born German translator, Director of the German Institute of Polish Studies (1980-1997).
- Don Getty, 82, Canadian politician, Premier of Alberta (1985–1992), and football player (Edmonton Eskimos), heart failure.
- Eri Klas, 76, Estonian conductor, retired boxer and educator, member of the Estonian Olympic Committee, heart attack.
27[change | change source]
- Rajesh Pillai, 41, Indian movie director (Traffic), liver disease.
28[change | change source]
- Frank Kelly, 77, Irish actor (Father Ted, Emmerdale, Evelyn), heart attack.
- George Kennedy, 91, American actor (Cool Hand Luke, The Naked Gun, Airport), Oscar winner (1968), heart disease.
29[change | change source]
- Gil Hill, 84, American police officer and actor (Beverly Hills Cop), pneumonia.
- Louise Rennison, 64, British author (Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging), cancer.
Months[change | change source]
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- ↑ Guatemalan Gen. Mejia Victores Dies
- ↑ Paul Pholeros, architect who helped reduce Indigenous poverty, dies at 62
- ↑ Bob Elliott, of Bob and Ray Comedy Fame, Dies at 92
- ↑ El excanciller brasileño Luiz Felipe Lampreia fallece a los 74 años Archived 2016-02-03 at the Wayback Machine (in Spanish)
- ↑ Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck Voice Actor Dead
- ↑ DJ Big Kap Dies of Heart Attack
- ↑ "Devastating news as Derry City legend Mark Farren passes away". Archived from the original on 2016-02-04. Retrieved 2016-02-29.
- ↑ Former Lok Sabha speaker Balram Jakhar passes away
- ↑ Murió la cantante Alba Solís Archived 2016-02-03 at the Wayback Machine(in Spanish)
- ↑ Mirė dirigentas Saulius Sondeckis Archived 2016-03-06 at the Wayback Machine (in Lithuanian)
- ↑ Marlow Cook, a former GOP Senator Kentucky, dies at 89
- ↑ Kristine Miller, Hollywood Starlet of the 1940s, Dies at 90
- ↑ "BMX legend Dave Mirra dead at 41". Archived from the original on 2016-03-09. Retrieved 2016-02-29.
- ↑ "Apollo 14 astronaut Edgar Mitchell, 85, dies in West Palm Beach". Archived from the original on 2016-02-05. Retrieved 2016-02-29.
- ↑ Axl Rotten passes away at 44
- ↑ Former Governor Edgar Whitcomb passes away at 98
- ↑ Earth, Wind & Fire Founder Maurice White Dead at 74.
- ↑ William O. 'Bill' Birchfield, 1935-2016 Advocate for Dames Point bridge, Skyway
- ↑ Martial arts supreme grandmaster Cacoy Cañete dies at 96
- ↑ Författaren Bodil Malmsten död (in Swedish)
- ↑ Robin Chandler Duke, a Champion of Women’s Rights, Dies at 92
- ↑ Daniel Ivan Hicks
- ↑ Eddy Wally overleden (in Dutch)
- ↑ Publizist und Moderator: Roger Willemsen ist tot
- ↑ "Amelia Bence, Argentine actress, Died at 101". Archived from the original on 2016-02-16. Retrieved 2016-02-29.
- ↑ Former Eighth Army commander Campbell dies
- ↑ "John Bowman Duncan". Archived from the original on 2016-02-22. Retrieved 2016-02-29.
- ↑ Acclaimed Poet-Lyricist Nida Fazli Dies In Mumbai
- ↑ Augie Mardesich, former Everett master politician, dies at 95
- ↑ Fotografen Viggo Rivad er død Archived 2016-02-22 at the Wayback Machine (in Danish)
- ↑ "Ballet Legend Violette Verdy Dies At Age 82". Archived from the original on 2016-03-14. Retrieved 2016-02-29.
- ↑ Acteur André van den Heuvel (88) overladen (in Dutch)
- ↑ Nepali Congress President Sushil Koirala dies at the age of 77 years
- ↑ Oud-speler van Roda en Fortuna Leo Ehlen (62) overleden (in Dutch)
- ↑ Phil Gartside: Bolton chairman dies of cancer aged 63
- ↑ Drew Lewis, Transportation Secretary During Air Controllers’ Strike, Dies at 84
- ↑ Falleció Eliseo Prado (in Spanish)
- ↑ Der Dribbelkönig ist tot (in German)
- ↑ "UFC Legend, Kevin Randleman Passes Away At Age 44". Archived from the original on 2016-03-03. Retrieved 2016-02-29.
- ↑ Edward T. "Eddie" Barry
- ↑ Ex-standardtrainer Dominique D'Onofrio (62) overleden (in Dutch)
- ↑ Robert Froehlke served as secretary of Army during Vietnam War
- ↑ "Johnny Lattner, Heisman Trophy winner, dies at 83". Archived from the original on 2016-02-16. Retrieved 2016-02-29.
- ↑ 90s football legend Trifon Ivanov passes away, aged 50
- ↑ Jnanpith-winning poet O.N.V Kurup no more
- ↑ ODLAZAK FUDBALSKE LEGENDE Preminuo Slobodan Santrač! (in Serbian)
- ↑ "BREAKING: Supreme Court Justice Scalia dies during hunting trip in Marfa". Archived from the original on 2016-02-13. Retrieved 2016-02-29.
- ↑ Czech artist, designer, architect Borek Sipek dies aged 66
- ↑ Sir Christopher Zeeman FRS (1925-2016)
- ↑ Voice of the Boro Ali Brownlee of BBC Tees dies
- ↑ Muere Muriel Casals (in Spanish)
- ↑ Liedermacher Hein Kröher gestorben (in German)
- ↑ Lord Avebury
- ↑ Nie żyje wicemistrz olimpijski z Monachium (in Polish)
- ↑ George Gaynes, ‘Punky Brewster’ and ‘Police Academy’ Star, Dies at 98
- ↑ a Salman Natour, lo scrittore senza confini[permanent dead link] (in Italian)
- ↑ Oud-Feyenoorder Hans Posthumus overleden Archived 2016-03-01 at the Wayback Machine (in Dutch)
- ↑ Coach Fighton Simukonda dies
- ↑ Boutros Boutros-Ghali, Former U.N. Secretary General, Dies at 93
- ↑ "Belinda Nash, advocate for the Witch of Pungo, dies". Archived from the original on 2016-03-02. Retrieved 2016-02-29.
- ↑ "Dr. Charles C. Ryrie (1925-2016)". Archived from the original on 2016-02-27. Retrieved 2016-02-29.
- ↑ "The Navy's Third MCPON, OSCM Bob Walker Has Passed Away". Archived from the original on 2016-02-25. Retrieved 2016-02-29.
- ↑ В Петербурге ушел из жизни режиссер Александр Гутман Archived 2016-02-18 at the Wayback Machine (in Russian)
- ↑ Leading Arab journalist Mohamed Hassanein Heikal dies at 92
- ↑ Avec la mort de Claude Jeancolas, Arthur Rimbaud perd un de ses plus grands connaisseurs (in French)
- ↑ Malayalam writer Akbar Kakkattil dies at 62
- ↑ Andrzej Żuławski nie żyje. Reżyser miał 75 lat (in Polish)
- ↑ Ustad Abdul Rashid Khan’s Tragic Demise
- ↑ Greek Singer Pantelis Pantelidis Dies in Car Accident (video)
- ↑ John E. Reinhardt, Ambassador and Head of U.S. Information Agency, Dies at 95
- ↑ В Москве умер глава Северной Осетии Тамерлан Агузаров (in Russian)
- ↑ Morto lo scrittore Umberto Eco. Ci mancherà il suo sguardo sul mondo (in Italian)
- ↑ Harper Lee, Author of ‘To Kill a Mockingbird,’ Dies at 89
- ↑ O'Brien
- ↑ Vi Subversa: 20th June 1935 – 19th February 2016: Flesh and blood is what we are
- ↑ Samuel Willenberg, the last surviving Treblinka prisoner, dies at 93
- ↑ Bruno Zuppiger ist tot (in German)
- ↑ Priest who defied pope, Fernando Cardenal, dies at 82
- ↑ Skuespiller Ove Verner Hansen er død (in Danish)
- ↑ Fallece Nando Yosu, histórico entrenador del Racing (in Spanish)
- ↑ Muere María Luisa Alcalá, actriz de "Cándido Pérez" y "El Chavo" (in Spanish)
- ↑ ‘World’s greatest’ aviator Eric Winkle Brown dies at 97
- ↑ Wesley A. Clark, legendary computer engineer, dies at 88
- ↑ Taekwondo: morta Cristiana Corsi, ex campionessa europea (in Italian)
- ↑ Alabama's first Miss America, who changed the rules on swimsuits, dies
- ↑ Sonny James, Country Music Hall of Fame Member, Dies at Age 86
- ↑ Former Miss New Jersey dies from crash injuries
- ↑ Mannheim: Rockgitarrist Hans Reffert gestorben (in German)
- ↑ 'Indiana Jones' Cinematographer Douglas Slocombe Dies at 103
- ↑ Erlau Rebbe passes away
- ↑ Ramon Castro Ruz, Cuban president's older brother, dies
- ↑ Der Welterklärer mit der Latzhose ist tot Archived 2016-04-28 at the Wayback Machine (in German)
- ↑ Fallece Francisco Rubio Llorente, expresidente del Consejo de Estado (in Spanish)
- ↑ NASA astronaut Don Williams, led mission to launch Jupiter probe, dies at 74
- ↑ Zmarł prof. Ryszard Bender - były poseł i senator (in Polish)
- ↑ La morte di Adriana Benetti, diva dimenticata degli anni '40 e '50 (in Italian)
- ↑ Athletic Club mourn passing of Rafael Iriondo
- ↑ Solomons first PM Sir Peter Kenilorea dies
- ↑ Oud-doelman Van de Merwe overleden (in Dutch)
- ↑ Tony Burton, Flint native and actor from 'Rocky' films, dies in California
- ↑ Oscar-winning editor Jim Clark dies aged 85
- ↑ Décès de François Dupeyron, réalisateur de "La Chambre des officiers" (in French)
- ↑ Biotech entrepreneur Alfred E. Mann dies at 90
- ↑ CP NewsAlert: Hall of Famer Bathgate dies
- ↑ Übersetzer Karl Dedecius 94-jährig verstorben(in German)
- ↑ Former Alberta Premier Don Getty dies at 82
- ↑ Ушел из жизни дирижер Эри Клас (in Russian)
- ↑ Rajesh Pillai, Malayalam filmmaker passes away at 41
- ↑ Fr Ted star Frank Kelly passes away
- ↑ Actor George Kennedy dies at 91
- ↑ "Former actor and Detroit councilman, Gil Hill, Dies at 84". Archived from the original on 2016-03-06. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- ↑ Angus, Thongs author Louise Rennison dies