The following is a list of deaths that happened in May 2023. For deaths that should be noted before the month that the world is in, please see "Months". Names under each date are noted in the order of the alphabet by last name or pseudonym. Deaths of non-humans are noted here also if it is worth noting.
Each listing of death must have a source. If no reference is included, the death notice will be removed. The following are the requirements of adding a name to the list in its order: name, age, where they came from, what the person is known for, cause of death (if known), and a source.
May[change | change source]
1[change | change source]
- Calvin Davis, 51, American hurdler, Olympic bronze medalist (1996).
- Gordon Lightfoot, 84, Canadian Hall of Fame singer-songwriter ("Sundown", "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald", "If You Could Read My Mind").
- Eileen Saki, 79, Japanese-American actress (M*A*S*H, Splash, Policewomen), cancer.
2[change | change source]
- Arun Manilal Gandhi, 89, Indian-American author and political activist.
- Valentina Yudashkin, 59, Russian fashion.
3[change | change source]
- Alessandro D'Alatri, 68, Italian director and actor.
4[change | change source]
- Gabriel Carey, 64, Australian author.
5[change | change source]
- Michel Cordes, 77, French actor (The Horseman on the Roof, Didier, A Question of Taste), author and stage director, suicide by gunshot.
- Samuel T. Durance, 79, American astronaut.
6[change | change source]
- Vida Blue, 73, American baseball player (Oakland Athletics, San Francisco Giants, Kansas City Royals), three-time World Series champion (1972, 1973, 1974).
- Newton N. Minow, 97, American attorney, chairman of the Federal Communications Commission (1961–1963), heart attack.
7[change | change source]
8[change | change source]
- Terrence Hardiman, 86, English actor (Gandhi, Sahara, Mask of Murder).
- Pema Tseden, 53, Chinese film director.
9[change | change source]
- Antonio Carbajal, 93, Mexican football player (León, national team) and manager (Atlético Morelia).
- Denny Crum, 86, American Hall of Fame basketball coach (Louisville Cardinals).
- Rolf Harris, 93, Australian entertainer (Rolf's Cartoon Club, Animal Hospital), singer ("Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport"), and convicted sex offender, neck cancer.
- Enrico Oldoini, 77, Italian film director (Don Matteo, Vacanze di Natale '90, Anni 90) and screenwriter.
- Thelston Payne, 66, Barbadian cricketer (West Indies, national team), pancreatic cancer.
- Jacklyn Zeman, 70, American actress (General Hospital).
- Guido Gorgatti, 103, Italian-born Argentine actor (Bárbara atómica, An American in Buenos Aires, Would You Marry Me?).
- Doyle Brunson, 74, American hall of fame
- Marlene Hagge, 89, American Hall of Fame golfer.
- P. K. R. Pillai, 92, Indian film producer (Chithram, Thathamme Poocha Poocha, Ezhu Muthal Onpathu Vare).
- Per Røntved, 74, Danish footballer (Brønshøj Boldklub, Werder Bremen, national team).
- Helmut Berger, 78, Austrian actor (Ludwig, The Damned, The Godfather Part III).
- Jim Brown, 87, American Hall of Fame football player (Cleveland Browns) and actor (The Dirty Dozen, Mars Attacks!).
- Sevvalai Rasu, 70, Indian actor.
- Brian Booth, 89, Australian cricketer and Olympic field hockey player (1956).
- Pete Brown, 82, English poet, lyricist ("I Feel Free", "Sunshine of Your Love", "White Room") and singer.
- Andy Rourke, 59, English bassist (The Smiths), pancreatic cancer.
- Edmonds J. Muniz, 83, American politician.
- Wahid Satay, 93, Singaporean actor (Pontianak, Puteri Gunong Ledang, Pontianak Harum Sundal Malam), comedian and singer, sepsis.
- Wim Udenhout, 85, Surinamese politician, prime minister (1984–1986).
- Dano Heriban, 43, Slovak actor (The Man Who Stood in the Way), heart attack.
- Bill Lee, 94, American jazz musician and film composer (She's Gotta Have It, School Daze, Do the Right Thing).
- Tina Turner, 83, American-born Swiss Hall of Fame singer ("River Deep – Mountain High", "What's Love Got to Do with It") and actress (Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome), eight-time Grammy winner.
- Mickey Jagtiani, 70, Indian billionessman.
- Luo Jingmin, 67, Chinese actor.
- Lawrence Williams, 76, Welsh cricketer (Glamorgan).
- Tyrone O'Sullivan, 84, Sri Lankan diplomat, member.
- Isa Barzizza, 93, Italian actress (The Two Orphans, Bluebeard's Six Wives, It's Never Too Late).
- Antonio Gala, 93, Spanish poet.
- Harald zur Hausen, 87, German virologist, Nobel Prize recipient (2008).
- Michel Côté, 72, Canadian actor (Cruising Bar, Life After Love, C.R.A.Z.Y.).
- Peter Simonischek, 76, Austrian actor (Love and Fear, Toni Erdmann, Kursk).
- Jacob Turkel, 88, Israeli judge.
- Patricia Dainton, 93, British actress (Dancing with Crime, The Passionate Stranger, Sixpenny Corner).
- Dickie Harrell, 82, American Hall of Fame drummer (Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps). (death announced on this date)
Months[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- Calvin Davis
- Canadian folk music icon Gordon Lightfoot dead at 84
- 'M*A*S*H' Actress Eileen Saki Dead at 79
- Mahatma Gandhi's grandson Arun Gandhi passes away at 89
- Après la mort de Michel Cordes de « Plus belle la vie », le suicide, piste privilégiée (in French)
- Vida Blue Statement
- Newton Minow, former FCC chief and public TV advocate, has died at 97
- Former Black Caps manager Lindsay Crocker dies
- Terrence Hardiman, star of CBBC series The Demon Headmaster, dies aged 86
- Antonio La Tota Carbajal fallece a los 93 años en León (in Spanish)
- Hall of Fame men's basketball coach Denny Crum dies at 86
- Rolf Harris: Serial abuser and ex-entertainer dies aged 93
- È morto il regista Enrico Oldoini, il creatore di 'Don Matteo' (in Italian)
- Thelston Payne passes
- GH's Jacklyn Zeman Dies at 70
- Murió el actor Guido Gorgatti a los 103 años (in Spanish)
- All Blacks great Bruce Robertson dies after long health battle
- Aussie Doubles Legend Owen Davidson Passes Away
- Former Blues and Tasman Mako halfback Billy Guyton dies, aged 33
- Marlene Hagge-Vossler, last surviving LPGA founder, dies at 89
- 'Chithram' film producer PKR Pillai passes away
- Nekrolog: Danmarks mest kendte libero i 1970’erne er død (in Danish)
- פרידה מ"אמא של בנצי": השחקנית דבורה קידר הלכה לעולמה (in Hebrew)
- Schauspiellegende Helmut Berger ist tot (in German)
- All-time NFL great running back, social activist Jim Brown dead at 87
- Cricket Australia
- Cream and Jack Bruce songwriting collaborator Pete Brown passes away aged 82
- The Smiths bassist Andy Rourke dies after battle with pancreatic cancer
- Ray Stevenson Dies: ‘RRR’, ‘Thor’, Vikings’ & ‘Divergent’ Actor Was 58
- Veteran actor Wahid Satay died at 93
- Wim Udenhout, former Suriname prime minister, dies at 85
- Cricket mourns the loss of SA legend Neil Dansie
- La tradizione indoeuropea: le radici del nostro avvenire (in Italian)
- Zomrel známy slovenský herec Daniel Heriban (in Slovak)
- Bill Lee, Jazz Musician and Father of Spike Lee, Dies at 94
- Tina Turner dies aged 83
- "Anh hùng Lao động Đặng Văn Thân, người góp phần tạo cú hích quan trọng cho ngành viễn thông Việt Nam". mic.govn.vn. Retrieved 2023-05-26.
- Lawrence Williams - A Tribute
- Isa Barzizza, la storica spalla di Totò morta a 93 anni (in Italian)
- Nobel laureate Harald zur Hausen has passed away
- Quebec Actor Michel Cote Has Died
- Peter Simonischek im Alter von 76 Jahren verstorben (in German)
- Omaha actor John Beasley dies Tuesday at age of 79
- Patricia Dainton
- Dickie Harrell: In Memoriam
Other websites[change | change source]
- The Guardian, UK obituaries
- The Telegraph obituaries
- Obituaries, Chicago Tribune
- Obituaries, Los Angeles Times
- The New York Times, US obituaries
- The Washington Post obituaries
- The Sydney Morning Herald, Australian obituaries
Deaths in 2022
|Deaths by year||Succeeded by|
Deaths in 2024