|Born||January 2, 1942
|Occupation||High School Teacher|
John Dennis "Denny" Hastert (//; born January 2, 1942) is an American politician, lobbyist and member of the Republican Party. He was the 59th Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, serving from 1999 to 2007. He represented Illinois's 14th congressional district for twenty years, 1987 to 2007.
On May 28, 2015, Hastert was indicted by federal prosecutors,. The legal charges against him are that he did not follow a law that says banks should report cash transactions over $10,000, and that he made false statements to the FBI about his withdrawals, in a hush money scheme. He was found guilty on April 27, 2016 and was sentenced to two years in prison.
Biography[change | change source]
Hastert was born on January 2, 1942, in Aurora, Illinois. He grew up in rural Illinois. He graduate from Wheaton College in 1964. His degree was in economics. In 1967 he got a masters in philosophy of education from Northern Illinois University.
After leaving government, he returned to rural Illinois. Hastert now lives in Plano, Illinois.
References[change | change source]
Other websites[change | change source]
- SourceWatch Congresspedia – Dennis Hastert profile
- NewsMeat list of contributors to Hastert's campaigns
- Beyond DeLay – Rep. Dennis Hastert (R-IL) from Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington
- OpenlineBlog.com political blog covering 14th Congressional District
- Booknotes interview with Hastert on Speaker: Lessons from 40 Years in Coaching and Politics, August 15, 2004.