Diaphoretickes is a large group of living things. It's part of the way scientists put living things in groups. It is a supergroup, meaning it has many, many living things in it. There are over 400,000 species in Diaphoretickes.
This megagroup includes:
- Archaeplastida (red algae, glaucophytes, green algae and plants)
- SAR supergroup (stramenopiles, alveolates, and Rhizaria)
In 2012, this megagroup was said to be:
- "The most inclusive clade containing Bigelowiella natans Moestrup & Sengco 2001 (Rhizaria), Tetrahymena thermophila Nanney & McCoy 1976 (Alveolata), Thalassiosira pseudonana Cleve 1873 (Stramenopiles), and Arabidopsis thaliana (Linnaeus) Heynhold, 1842 (Archaeplastida), but not Homo sapiens Linnaeus 1758 (Opisthokonta), Dictyostelium discoideum Raper 1935 (Amoebozoa) or Euglena gracilis Klebs 1883 (Excavata). This is a branch-based definition in which all of the specifiers are extant."
History[change | change source]
Burki led a team of scientists that named Diaphoretickes. They called it the "plants+HC+SAR megagroup" because it has plants (Archaeplastida), haptophytes, cryptomonads, and stramenopiles, alveolates, and rhizarians. That makes the acronyms HC and SAR.
Other scientists call Diaphoretickes the "SAR/HA Supergroup" or "Corticata with Rhizaria." The name "Corticata" comes from Cavalier-Smith's scientific idea that the cortical alveoli of glaucophytes and alveolates both came from the same ancestors.
Long ago, Diaphoretickes had all of Archaeplastida, Rhizaria, and chromalveolates in it. Scientists changed this because they found that not all the living things in chromalveolata are in the same phylum group.
References[change | change source]
- Bar-On, Yinon M.; Phillips, Rob; Milo, Ron (2018-06-19). "The biomass distribution on Earth". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 115 (25): 6506–6511. doi:10.1073/pnas.1711842115. ISSN 0027-8424. PMC 6016768. PMID 29784790.
- Adl, Sina M.; Simpson, Alastair. G.; Lane, Christopher E.; Lukeš, Julius; Bass, David; Bowser, Samuel S.; Brown, Matt; Burki, Fabien; Dunthorn, Micah (2012-9). "The revised classification of eukaryotes". The Journal of eukaryotic microbiology. 59 (5): 429–493. doi:10.1111/j.1550-7408.2012.00644.x. ISSN 1066-5234. PMC 3483872. PMID 23020233. Check date values in: