Donda C. Williams
July 12, 1949
|Died||November 10, 2007 (aged 58)|
|Cause of death||Heart attack caused by plastic surgery and coronary artery disease|
|Education||Virginia Union University (BA)|
Clark Atlanta University (MA)
Auburn University (EdD)
(m. 1975; div. 1980)
Donda C. West (née Williams; July 12, 1949 – November 10, 2007) was an American academic. She was a professor and chair of Chicago State University's Department of English, Communications, Media and Theater. She was the mother of musician and designer Kanye West.
Life[change | change source]
She began her teaching career in the early 1970s at Morris Brown College in Atlanta and began working at Chicago State University in 1980. West taught English at Nanjing University for a year as a scholar through the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.
On November 10, 2007, West died in Los Angeles, California from a heart attack caused by plastic surgery-related problems and coronary artery disease at age 58. After her death, an investigation showed the surgeon who gave her the surgery had a history of alcohol offenses and had two major medical legal issues.
Legacy[change | change source]
After her death, California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger signed the "Donda West Law" in 2009, that makes it mandatory for patients to receive medical clearance through a physical examination before going through elective cosmetic surgery.
Kanye also named his tenth studio album, released in 2021, Donda, after his mother. Kanye donated student tickets to Chicago State University, the university where Donda worked at, for the listening session of the album.
References[change | change source]
- Archive-Kurt-Orzeck. "Donda West, Kanye's Mother, Died Of Heart Attack: Coroner's Report". MTV News. Retrieved September 23, 2021.
- "Donda West Died of Heart Disease after Surgery". PEOPLE.com. Retrieved September 23, 2021.
- "Chicago State U. honors Donda West". UPI. Retrieved September 23, 2021.
- Kaufman, Gil. "Arnold Schwarzenegger Signs Donda West Plastic Surgery Law". MTV News. Retrieved September 23, 2021.
- Kreps, Daniel (August 29, 2021). "Kanye West Finally Releases 'Donda' to Streaming Services". Rolling Stone. Retrieved September 23, 2021.
- "Kanye West donates tickets for Donda listening session to CHICAGO STATE UNIVERSITY". WHATS THE WORD. Retrieved September 23, 2021.